Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have a Lacie pocket drive with about 10 gig of obsolete system files I am unable to delete. They are all MS system files from obsolete installs. Many are .NET or SQL Server .msi install files.

I wonder how they ended up on this drive in the first place since this drive is only occasionally connected as a backup device. It is also used with my laptop for backup. These files could have come from either machine.

Cannot delete them as administrator user of my PC. Cannot reformat as I have other backup files there that I do not wish to lose. I see various downloadable programs on the web I do not trust which offer to do the job.

Is there a clean safe way to accomplish this?

I am running XP Pro with latest updates.

Thanks,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='dabbler' post='795889' date='01-Oct-2009 13:26']Hi,
    I have a Lacie pocket drive with about 10 gig of obsolete system files I am unable to delete. They are all MS system files from obsolete installs. Many are .NET or SQL Server .msi install files.

I wonder how they ended up on this drive in the first place since this drive is only occasionally connected as a backup device. It is also used with my laptop for backup. These files could have come from either machine.

Cannot delete them as administrator user of my PC. Cannot reformat as I have other backup files there that I do not wish to lose. I see various downloadable programs on the web I do not trust which offer to do the job.

Is there a clean safe way to accomplish this?

I am running XP Pro with latest updates.[/quote]

Have you tried to take ownership of the files?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='795898' date='01-Oct-2009 11:46']Have you tried to take ownership of the files?

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks for your reply Joe. You pointed me in the right direction and solved my problem.

Lacie is NTFS. my regular hard drives are FAT.
    Found helpful Microsoft articles on how to take ownership and followed them.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

As I was in XP Pro I did not have to reboot in safe mode.
    Followed microsoft instructions for taking ownership of files. First step was to disable simple file sharing. I got in to do this via folder options within the My Computer TOOLS.

Next I was able to get into the security properties of my Lacie drive via a right click. I was already logged in as Administrator and this showed in the list of users. I checked the "Replace permission entries on all child objects........." option, and refreshed permission entries on every file and folder. This was the key. Evidently this changed them somehow.

Requested delete and lo and behold they disappeared.

How they got there in the first place is a mystery. They were all Microsoft System files.

I now have my drive back. Many thanks,
    Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='dabbler' post='796117' date='02-Oct-2009 16:59']Thanks for your reply Joe. You pointed me in the right direction and solved my problem.

Lacie is NTFS. my regular hard drives are FAT.
    Found helpful Microsoft articles on how to take ownership and followed them.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

As I was in XP Pro I did not have to reboot in safe mode.
    Followed microsoft instructions for taking ownership of files. First step was to disable simple file sharing. I got in to do this via folder options within the My Computer TOOLS.

Next I was able to get into the security properties of my Lacie drive via a right click. I was already logged in as Administrator and this showed in the list of users. I checked the "Replace permission entries on all child objects........." option, and refreshed permission entries on every file and folder. This was the key. Evidently this changed them somehow.

Requested delete and lo and behold they disappeared.

How they got there in the first place is a mystery. They were all Microsoft System files.

I now have my drive back. Many thanks,
    Chris[/quote]

Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe