Thanks
    Aye me!

I've worked long and hard and made great use of the wonderful Printers/Bins code of Jonathan West. I've adapted it somewhat so I can capture information about any user's default printer, and print letterhead appropriately, no matter what model printer they have. Some printers have three trays, some have two. The ones with two trays will print first and successive pages all from Tray 1. The ones with three trays will be able to take advantage of the bond in that tray for pages 2 - on. This means there is no intervention necessary on the part of the user -- they click a button and their printer prints appropriately. What power!

However, I've noticed something with several HP printers (and perhaps other brands, but not my OKI or my Epson). Using this code, an HP printer (or should I say Windows?) reports that it has all the trays it could possibly have, rather than all the trays that are installed.

For example, the HP LaserJet 8000 can have up to five trays, a 2000 sheet input tray and an envelope feeder. Other than trays 1, 2 and 3, none of those are installed, and if you look into the printer driver itself, you'll see that the driver doesn't disagree as to what is installed, but does continue to show you what is available if you were only to buy it (a subtle marketing ploy, indeed).

Word displays the non-existent trays in Page Setup > Paper > Paper Source. You can select any tray that appears without a peep from Word, Windows or the Printer Driver (HP has missed a marketing opp by not displaying a pop-up with links to HP's shopping site...). Of course, nothing will print if you choose one of these phantom trays. Yikes!! Now most users are wise enough not to choose a tray that isn't there. My code, on the other hand, was counting on inside information that has turned out to be bad. All that power and foiled again!

My code checks the port to see if it's on a print server or not. All the networked printers have three trays. However, my code can't really be universal if it can't determine what's a real tray and what's a non-existant/optional tray. What if they put out a network printer with only two trays? What if a local printer actually has three trays and is shared? How can I tell those real trays from the wannabe trays? Is there a registry hack?

Can anyone with large HP and other brand printers see if the trays they have are the trays they see? Or are you, too, seeing trays that don't exist?

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Any tequila? Thanks!

Kim

Is there any way to talk to the driver to find out which bins are actually installed?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I can only offer some tequila...

[attachment=85782:Tequila.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    That's good enough for me! Cheers!!!

Kim

Thanks
    I think I know why this may have been happening. I didn't actually have the printers available, I simply added the printers so I could poke around in their trays. When actually connected to a printer, it does return only the trays that have been installed. So far...

Kim... still