Thanks
    ...when the Ig Nobel Prizes are announced

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='795997' date='02-Oct-2009 09:39']...when the Ig Nobel Prizes are announced [/quote]Hi Leif,
    I read that this morning but was a little disappointed in the Beebs reporting this time. For a number of the winners they tell us what was investigated but not what the conclusions were. I'm particularly interested in if it is better (comparatively speaking) being smashed on the head with a full bottle of beer, or being smashed on the head with an empty beer bottle.

Some others:

Medicine: Is cracking knucles a cause of arthritis of the fingers?
    Physics: Why don't pregnant women tip over?
    Public Health: If you are a needy bystander, how do you convince the lady to give you a gas mask?

I suppose I will never know the answers to these questions.

Added: A little googling has turned up the important answer to the beer bottle question:

Beer bottles are often used in physical disputes. If the bottles break, they may give rise to sharp trauma. However, if the bottles remain intact, they may cause blunt injuries. In order to investigate whether full or empty standard half-litre beer bottles are sturdier and if the necessary breaking energy surpasses the minimum fracture-threshold of the human skull, we tested the fracture properties of such beer bottles in a drop-tower.

Full bottles broke at 30 J impact energy, empty bottles at 40 J. These breaking energies surpass the minimum fracture-threshold of the human neurocranium. Beer bottles may therefore fracture the human skull and therefore serve as dangerous instruments in a physical dispute.

In other words - It doesn't matter, you want to avoid both.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='795999' date='02-Oct-2009 19:28']In other words - It doesn't matter, you want to avoid both.[/quote]

That's always been my policy ...

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='795999' date='02-Oct-2009 10:28']Beer bottles are often used in physical disputes. If the bottles break, they may give rise to sharp trauma.[/quote]
    Presumably in contrast to the dull trauma you get from repeatedly drinking the contents?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='796159' date='03-Oct-2009 08:19']Presumably in contrast to the dull trauma you get from repeatedly drinking the contents?[/quote]I'm still waiting for an answer to the gas mask question! Are there any recommendations on how to politely ask? I certainly wouldn't want to just grab and gasp! (and then again, depending on the lady I just might do both!)

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='796452' date='05-Oct-2009 19:55']I'm still waiting for an answer to the gas mask question! Are there any recommendations on how to politely ask? I certainly wouldn't want to just grab and gasp! (and then again, depending on the lady I just might do both!)[/quote]
    What an impetuous Swiss person you are!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='796459' date='05-Oct-2009 20:07']What an impetuous Swiss person you are![/quote]I blame the beer bottles , but if you were in need of a gas mask, would you hesitate or be a frightfully stoic British gentleman(tm)?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='796559' date='06-Oct-2009 08:33']I blame the beer bottles ,[/quote]
    Continuing on the sillyness of beer bottles, I imagine that you would all like to hear a short interview with the beer bottle guy!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='796452' date='05-Oct-2009 20:55']I'm still waiting for an answer to the gas mask question! Are there any recommendations on how to politely ask?[/quote]
    If not worded VERY carefully, you could just as well be without that gas mask. Same end result.
    "Are your bra, ehm, you know what mean ..., ehm" Ouch!