4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a fairly old version of Eudora (3.0.6). I recently had to restore my D-drive after a crash. Now, when I try to start Eudora, I get the error message:

The directory specified in the command line:
    D:\Eudora
    doesn't exist or is not writable

This is not true. I can write to the subdirectory with other programs and both CHKDSK and Norton pass the D-drive. I suspected it was a missing file or a file that was restored with read only attributes but I checked this machine against a working machine and the files are the same and none of the files in D:\Eudora have any attributes assigned.

I know nothing is wrong with this installation of Eudora because it starts just fine when I point it to another subdirectory containing archived email. I also know nothing is wrong with the mailboxes and files in D:\Eudora because they work fine when I copy them to another machine. The command line I use in the shortcut to start Eudora is:

"C:\Program Files\Eudora\eudora.exe" D:\Eudora D:\Eudora\Ini\Dell\SPSU.ini

And yes, D:\Eudora\Ini\Dell\SPSU.ini exists.

I know this is a weird one, made harder because I'm using such old software but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Ronny' post='796030' date='02-Oct-2009 09:58']I use a fairly old version of Eudora (3.0.6). I recently had to restore my D-drive after a crash. Now, when I try to start Eudora, I get the error message:

The directory specified in the command line:
    D:\Eudora
    doesn't exist or is not writable

This is not true. I can write to the subdirectory with other programs and both CHKDSK and Norton pass the D-drive. I suspected it was a missing file or a file that was restored with read only attributes but I checked this machine against a working machine and the files are the same and none of the files in D:\Eudora have any attributes assigned.

I know nothing is wrong with this installation of Eudora because it starts just fine when I point it to another subdirectory containing archived email. I also know nothing is wrong with the mailboxes and files in D:\Eudora because they work fine when I copy them to another machine. The command line I use in the shortcut to start Eudora is:

"C:\Program Files\Eudora\eudora.exe" D:\Eudora D:\Eudora\Ini\Dell\SPSU.ini

And yes, D:\Eudora\Ini\Dell\SPSU.ini exists.[/quote]

The folder may have the read-only attripubte set. This is OK for folders as the operating system knows to ignore that setting. However, some older software does not ignore it. If you use the command line and the attrib command you should be able to remove the read-only attribute from the folder.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='796074' date='02-Oct-2009 13:09']The folder may have the read-only attripubte set. This is OK for folders as the operating system knows to ignore that setting. However, some older software does not ignore it. If you use the command line and the attrib command you should be able to remove the read-only attribute from the folder.

Joe[/quote]

You are absolutely right. I have never heard of that before and would not have found it. I can change the read only property in a dialog box and apply it and it looks changed, but when I close the dialog box and reopen it, it is read only again! In fact, all the subdirectories are that way. Do you know how to make the change stick?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='796074' date='02-Oct-2009 13:09']The folder may have the read-only attripubte set. This is OK for folders as the operating system knows to ignore that setting. However, some older software does not ignore it. If you use the command line and the attrib command you should be able to remove the read-only attribute from the folder.

Joe[/quote]

After doing some research, I don't think this is the problem. On the Microsoft website at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;326549

It says:

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Ronny' post='796140' date='03-Oct-2009 00:40']After doing some research, I don't think this is the problem. On the Microsoft website at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;326549

It says: "You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista"[/quote]

I think that is the problem. What the KB article is telling you is that these attributes cannot be changed from within Windows. They can be changed using the command prompt, as indicated in the section beginning "Steps to work around this problem".

Give that a go and let us know how you get on
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I resolved the problem. Since I have a working version on another machine, I just deleted the subdirectory and copied all the files from the working computer and it now works. All I can figure is that a file was corrupted and copying it over again solved the problem.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Ronny' post='796302' date='04-Oct-2009 17:11']I resolved the problem. Since I have a working version on another machine, I just deleted the subdirectory and copied all the files from the working computer and it now works. All I can figure is that a file was corrupted and copying it over again solved the problem.[/quote]

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe