3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

Iím thinking of designing an Access data base that will store all my client information on and have it linked to my various Excel and Word documents. I know this can be done but my question is what comes first the horse or the carriage. Do I need the data base designed first or can I build my data base around my existing Excel and Word documents. What is usually the best approach? Iím trying to possibly save myself some time with not having to back track, or least as possible anyways. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    How familiar are you with database design in general, and with Access in particular?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

I know very little, I have designed a couple simple data bases using Access 97 & 2000 a few years back.
    If Iím not mistaken I first design my ďTablesĒ with Names, Addresses and any other needed information. I believe the table also stores that selective information (Data Base). I then design my form or forms using my table or tables. The form will then be used to enter data on. Then from there I could select queries to sort selected information to apply to a report. I know this is just the basicís 101.

Iím a jack of all trades and a master of none, but I am a quick learner

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd start by brushing up your knowledge of database design and Access. You could study Alison Balter's Mastering Microsoft Office Access 2007 Development for example.

Then, think hard and long about the data design - which tables do you need and how are they related. You should have a clear idea of this before you create anything in Access.

Also: how many simultaneous users do you expect? Access works well with a limited number of users, but becomes very slow if many people are entering/editing data simultaneously. In that case, it might be better to use SQL Server as a backend.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi HansV
    I quite agree, I will brush up on Microsoft Access 2007 before attempting this. The users on the data base will be one at a time as I plan to incorporate my Excel workbook and Word documents with Access I feel this will give me a better foundation for storing needed information and the ease of retrieving or just updating. My thoughts are to make my reports as user friendly as possible for people with little to no experience with computer. Not to mention I really enjoy learning this stuffÖÖ..
    I thank you for the information you have provided.