Thread: WML vs OE

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I read through this forum. I still have no idea which email program is easiest to use. I have used OE for years. I installed WML per MS strategy but do not like it. I rejected Outlook early on. All I need is simple email, sometimes with large volume due to community work. I use XPPro SP3 3gigP4 with 2M memory and 160G HD. Is it possible to get objective evaluation on clean simple email programs?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='steinichen' post='796116' date='02-Oct-2009 16:57']I read through this forum. I still have no idea which email program is easiest to use. I have used OE for years. I installed WML per MS strategy but do not like it. I rejected Outlook early on. All I need is simple email, sometimes with large volume due to community work. I use XPPro SP3 3gigP4 with 2M memory and 160G HD. Is it possible to get objective evaluation on clean simple email programs?[/quote]

You are unlikely to get a truely objective evaluation. We all use different products, have different experiences, have different requirements, and certainly differing opinions.

My main e-mail program is Outlook. I'm used to it and I like it. I also use WLM. Primarily I use WLM for newsgroup access but do use it occasionally for some Hotmail & Live mail accounts. I think WLM is easy to use and works well. You'll probably get others to comment about Thunderbird.

BTW, you can continue to use OE. It will continue to work for POP mail accounts. However, I recommend you find some other program. OE is well known for a variety of issues from program stability to data corruption.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I to, have been using Outlook for many years and do like it. I started with Outlook 95 and now with 2007.
    I also use WLM on a couple of systems for the Newsgroups and other email accounts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    For me, Thunderbird has always been simpler to use, filter, archive & retrieve.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    You are unlikely to get a truely objective evaluation. We all use different products, have different experiences, have different requirements, and certainly differing opinions.

... You'll probably get others to comment about Thunderbird.

BTW, you can continue to use OE. It will continue to work for POP mail accounts. However, I recommend you find some other program. OE is well known for a variety of issues from program stability to data corruption.

Joe
    Greetings all,

Steinichen - Only way to be sure which email client is right for you is to try them over a period of months. As for myself, I did OE in the early '90s, then Outlook, then Pegasus, then back to OE and Thunderbird 0.2 at the same time (on different boxes). Spent a fair amount of time with Eudora Pro on the desktop and Pegasus. Also used Evolution when I was toying with Linux. Kept using Thunderbird on the non-work Windoze 'puters. After Qualcomm abandoned Eudora, I was able to easily move the work email over to TBird.

I am currently using Thunderbird 3 on my main desktop, laptop and on four other boxes in the house, one of them is Linux. Thunderbird serves me well and the latest tab view is great. It is easy to backup and has great support in the forums. That last sentence probably is most important. Ease of backup and support.

Hope this helps,
    Thx for your help,
    Popgory