Thread: Bit Defender

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,

I am running Vista Home Premium 64bit. I used to have Bitdefender 2009 Internet security. I opted to upgrade to the Bit Defender Total Security 2010. Now here is the situation. Following the directions fro Bit Defender, I uninstalled the 2009, then Began the install of the 2010 product. I can get through the first part of the install. When I have to restart (per the directions) My system will not come back up. I have to manually shut down, then restart. This takes me to the system restore.

I cannot get the program to work. Any Ideas??

Thanks,
    Brad

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All I can say is that I tried Bit Defender 2009 with XP pro and was very unhappy. I ended up returning the software for a refund. The two laptops I tried it on ran like a turtle hitting a road filled with potholes. If you are looking for a suite try Trend Micro. You can go through the try this for a month and then try that for a month to get a real feel and comparisons. Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem may be that version 2009 was not completely uninstalled. BitDefender has a special uninstall tool that needs to be used (just like most of the security programs). I ran into this problem myself when upgrading from BitDefender 2008 to BitDefender 2009.

Unlike Sinjin, I've been using BitDefender Antivirus for several years now and am quite pleased with it. I have been thinking of going to the suite that includes the firewall (which would mean removing my Comodo firewall software), but haven't done so yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had Bit Defender 2009 and had many problems, they suggested I install BD 2010 and the problems continued including not downloading updates and finally not even being able to open the program. I gave up in frustration and deleted the program (I am using Windows Essential currently) You mentioned a removal tool, where do I access this? As you pointed out Windows 7 would not delete either program so I did a file search for all BD files and deleted them, was this a bozo move?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    By deleting BitDefender-related files, you can't delete the application entirely - there may be files that you can't easily identify, and the Windows registry will contain lots of BitDefender-related settings. I wouldn't try to clean the registry manually - it's not easy and a wrong move might damage Windows.

See How to uninstall BitDefender; it contains a link to download the BitDefender Removal Tool.