Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    London, Gtr London, England
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi there,

    This follows on from an earlier post of mine, but probably deserves a fresh post.

    I have splt the DB into Front and Back End and placed a Front End onto the 2nd PC. Everything was working fine until the wirelss network link on the main pc packed up causing the 2nd PC to lose its connection. I had to leave the client yesterday with just the main PC working with the Front and Back end. I used Mark's suggestion of using the UNC path to link the Front to the Back End.

    However, this morning I received a phone call from the client saying that when they try to run up the app from the main PC they get a "Disk or Network error" message and nothing happens. This I find surprising as the app Front and Back End are on the same PC and are not trying to connect anywhere else.

    As I won't be able to get into see them until tomorrow and as I was the last one on the system I have guided them back to using the old pre split DB.

    Has anyone encountered the above problem before? As I say everything was working fine on that PC when I left. They tend to leave their PC's on all the time and as far as I know they haven't re-booted it.

    Cheers,

    Niven

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Access is very sensitive to network problems. The backend database may have become slightly corrupted; I'd perform a compact and repair it and see if it reports anything.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    London, Gtr London, England
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hans,

    I managed to get up to see the client and fixed the problem.

    It would seem that although I ran up the db on the main PC before I left last night, running it up subsequently brought up the "Disk or Network error" message.

    I managed to find another wireless adaptor as well as a utp cable and through re-establishing a link to the network, was able to run the DB as normal.

    I also disconnected the network, ran the db up once, closed and then ran it up a second and additional times and got the aforementioned error.

    Incidentally I tried the compact and repair on the back end before re-establing the network connection and that didn't make any difference. I also ran it on the front end and got the error message.

    Cheers,

    Niven

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    That's strange, but I'm glad you got it working again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •