3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our company has about 200 Word templates designed for Word 2002/2003. Most of these templates are protected for only form fields data entry. We are starting to look at converting to Office 2007. Most of the templates without protection convert to Word 2007 templates easily. The problem is the protected templates.

I have unprotected the Word 2003 templates to bring into Word 2007 and save as templates, but I cannot protect the templates in Word 2007. The messages seem to imply that there must be a server for security of the templates. We had no plans for a separate server for Office (I know that Excel document sharing requires a server). Can any one point me to the information we need to protect our templates for Office 2007? Do we need a server for protection? Is there a way around the protection where a server is not needed? Is there Microsoft or other documentation on protection of documents/templates in Office 2007?

TIA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bjg1' post='796371' date='05-Oct-2009 08:07']Our company has about 200 Word templates designed for Word 2002/2003. Most of these templates are protected for only form fields data entry. We are starting to look at converting to Office 2007. Most of the templates without protection convert to Word 2007 templates easily. The problem is the protected templates.

I have unprotected the Word 2003 templates to bring into Word 2007 and save as templates, but I cannot protect the templates in Word 2007. The messages seem to imply that there must be a server for security of the templates. We had no plans for a separate server for Office (I know that Excel document sharing requires a server). Can any one point me to the information we need to protect our templates for Office 2007? Do we need a server for protection? Is there a way around the protection where a server is not needed? Is there Microsoft or other documentation on protection of documents/templates in Office 2007?

TIA[/quote]
    fwiw, I also get an unexpected result when I test this, but not the same result as you:

If I create a protected forms template (.dot) using Word 2002 and password-protect it, and then open the .dot in Word 2007 and save it as a .dotx (while still protected), I retain the ability to unprotect and reprotect the template; that is, clicking the Protect Document on the Developer tab displays the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane, which then functions just like that same pane in Word 2003.

However if I repeat the experiment and this time I unprotect the .dot, before I save it in Word 2007 as a .dotx, in this case I no longer have functionality to reprotect the document - the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane appears, but all of the options/buttons are now grayed out.

So first question is: what happens if you try protecting your templates first, before you bring them to Word 2007 and save them as .dotx's? - does the protect/unprotect feature then work for you?

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason, that I was unprotecting the template before trying to make it a template in 2007, was because if I opened the template or created a document from the template, the document appeared to be protected, but 2007 said that it was not protected. There was no way to turn protection off, because 2007 thought it was unprotected (checked Unrestricted Access).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry the light bulb just when on. I was seeing the Unrestricted Access as protection of the form. I should have been using the Restrict Formatting and Editing. It seems that I can turn Restrict Formatting and Editing on and off.

What is the feature Restricted Access and when/how is that feature used?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bjg1' post='796431' date='05-Oct-2009 13:46']I'm sorry the light bulb just when on. I was seeing the Unrestricted Access as protection of the form. I should have been using the Restrict Formatting and Editing. It seems that I can turn Restrict Formatting and Editing on and off.

What is the feature Restricted Access and when/how is that feature used?[/quote]
    Haven't used that feature so can't provide any insight on that. Does the Word Help topic "Information Rights Management in the 2007 Microsoft Office system" help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reference. I'll study that information and see if we should be using that system.