Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened up one of my databases in Access 2007. I am at the Switchboard screen. I used to use F11 to get to tables, queries etc. When I hit F11 now it brings up a list of macros. Help. I want to see my tables, queries etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The database window has been replaced with the Navigation pane on the left hand side. The F11 function key toggles the Navigation pane on/off.
    At the top of the Navigation pane, there's a little dropdown arrow. Use this to select what the Navigation pane displays - tables, queries, ... or even all database objects.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What you are seeing is the Navigation Pain - oops - Pane. At the top you should see a drop-down which will let you choose the kind of objects you want to see. Tables is one of those. And yes, it's a pain for those of us who have been doing Access since the 1990s. And it's a challenge when you have to switch back and forth as I do. Hang in there though - it seems it's the wave of the future....
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='796392' date='05-Oct-2009 15:37']The database window has been replaced with the Navigation pane on the left hand side. The F11 function key toggles the Navigation pane on/off.
    At the top of the Navigation pane, there's a little dropdown arrow. Use this to select what the Navigation pane displays - tables, queries, ... or even all database objects.[/quote]

Thanks Hans - I feel so stupid.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='796393' date='05-Oct-2009 14:39']What you are seeing is the Navigation Pain - oops - Pane. At the top you should see a drop-down which will let you choose the kind of objects you want to see. Tables is one of those. And yes, it's a pain for those of us who have been doing Access since the 1990s. And it's a challenge when you have to switch back and forth as I do. Hang in there though - it seems it's the wave of the future....[/quote]

I am so used to the menus - it is very hard to change. I have another question - one of many. I opened up a form in my database - I had a customized toolbar (that had filter by form etc on it). I noticed that the toobar is gone. Is there anything comparable to a toolbar that is attached to the form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Custom toolbars should appear in the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon.

See Use existing custom toolbars and startup settings in Access 2007.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='796404' date='05-Oct-2009 16:21']Custom toolbars should appear in the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon.

See Use existing custom toolbars and startup settings in Access 2007.[/quote]

There is no way to put the commands on the form.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think so, but I don't have Access 2007 myself, so I could be wrong.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='LindaR' post='796407' date='05-Oct-2009 09:42']There is no way to put the commands on the form.[/quote]
    I'm not sure I follow your meaning, but you can associate a custom toolbar with a specific form or report. To do that, go to the properties Sheet of the form/report and choose the Other tab. Find the property called Toolbar, and if you toolbar is recognized, it should show up in the dropdown list associated with that property. The bottom line however is to do your toolbar design work in an older version, as the process in 2007 is no fun at all. In looking at your form, I couldn't tell if it is a toolbar or a short-cut menu (right-click). If it is the short-cut variety things are even uglier. You can specify a short-cut menu bar in the property with that name on the Other tab, but creating those is even more difficult than a normal Toolbar.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='796418' date='05-Oct-2009 18:05']I'm not sure I follow your meaning, but you can associate a custom toolbar with a specific form or report. To do that, go to the properties Sheet of the form/report and choose the Other tab. Find the property called Toolbar, and if you toolbar is recognized, it should show up in the dropdown list associated with that property. The bottom line however is to do your toolbar design work in an older version, as the process in 2007 is no fun at all.[/quote]

Once I test my databases in Access 2007 (using a laptop), I will get Access 2007 on my computer. Access 2003 will go away so I will have no choice but to use Access 2007. Can I still open my Access 2003 databases in Access 2007 and have the same functionality or am I dreaming.

Is there a way that when I open my database, that the ribbon can go away? I know you can minimize the ribbon but can it be minimized automatically when the database is opened?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For the most part, you can have the same functionality in 2003 and 2007 - there are some things in 2007 that don't work in 2003 however, and a few the other way. The state of the ribbon is set on a workstation by workstation basis, so if the workstation minimizes the ribbon it will be that way the next time the database is opened. There was a recent post Post 795225 about using Send Keys to minimize it automatically each time the database was opened. Also, you can turn the ribbon off completely - displaying the standard ribbon or not is a property of the database under Options on the drop-down menu.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='796418' date='05-Oct-2009 17:05']I'm not sure I follow your meaning, but you can associate a custom toolbar with a specific form or report. To do that, go to the properties Sheet of the form/report and choose the Other tab. Find the property called Toolbar, and if you toolbar is recognized, it should show up in the dropdown list associated with that property. The bottom line however is to do your toolbar design work in an older version, as the process in 2007 is no fun at all. In looking at your form, I couldn't tell if it is a toolbar or a short-cut menu (right-click). If it is the short-cut variety things are even uglier. You can specify a short-cut menu bar in the property with that name on the Other tab, but creating those is even more difficult than a normal Toolbar.[/quote]

My attachment shows what I mean by the toolbar being on the form. I looked at the properties for the form and the property Toolbar has the Toolbar that I associated with the form.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe what you have done in 2003 is to position the toolbar so it floats over the form - toolbars by default end up just below the menubar, but they can be moved around and resized. You should be able to do the same thing in 2007, unless you are using tabbed windows (Document Window Options). Does your toolbar show up just below the ribbon?
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='796427' date='05-Oct-2009 18:26']I believe what you have done in 2003 is to position the toolbar so it floats over the form - toolbars by default end up just below the menubar, but they can be moved around and resized. You should be able to do the same thing in 2007, unless you are using tabbed windows (Document Window Options). Does your toolbar show up just below the ribbon?[/quote]

I must be using tabbed windows. The toolbar is under Add-ins. I click on the tab Add-ins and it has the Filter by form, apply Filter/sort, toggle Filter and Remove Filter Sort going across.

I looked under Document Window options and Overlapping Windows is selected - not tabbed documents.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it possible your toolbar is behind your form? Moving of windows in 2007 is a bit of a challenge. If you can't resolve it, can you create a stripped down version of your database (with only a few records, not 53K) so I can tinker with it?

Update:
    Nevermind - I see what you were saying now. That's where the custom toolbars that we create show up. One of the things we did was to create a custom short-cut menu. But in your case, you might want to consider replacing the toolbar with buttons on the form itself that do the same thing. That will work equally well in 2003 and 2007.
    Wendell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast