New Lounger
    Thanks

Seeing IMAP shared folders' tree (OE5)

Hi all,
    Due to a persistent problem preventing me from reading incoming messages in all of our Outlook 98 clients, I'm trying to use OE5 instead as an IMAP client of an IMAP mail server (which seems fine).
    I quickly found access to all our IMAP shared accounts EXCEPT... that OE5 does NOT allow me to see ANY folder beyond the 2nd level after the account's root folder.
    Eg. I can see Customer / Customer name and read its contents, but NOT:
    Customer / Customer name / Project name (or any level beyond). We currently use up to 4 or 5 levels.
    Note that I CAN create a folder at level 3 like: Customer / Customer name / TEST.
    I also can move a message in it, then read it.
    It also works fine for Customer / Customer name / TEST / TEST2 / TEST3.

My second and last question is, OE5 does not seem to display all newly created folders like Outlook98 did.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Seeing IMAP shared folders' tree (OE5)

you need view permissions on every folder in the path - and every folder in the path needs added to the show list. this applies to new or existing folders

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mary, thank you for your idea, unfortunately I'm afraid it can't be permissions.
    The whole configuration worked fine during a few months until a couple of days ago, when all our Outlook clients began to fail displaying newly arrived messages. I checked on the IMAP email server's hard disk (Linux, e-smith stuff) and the new messages were indeed there. Messages from last Monday morning and earlier still appear in OE's inboxes...
    So I'm sure the new messages are still automatically retrieved by the email server, which connects to the Internet every few minutes, then put in every user's inbox. Even worse: in OE5, when the current folder is for instance in the newsgroup part, OE indicates that there are 6 unread message in one user's inbox folder and 8 in another one, but when I want to display this inbox, a weird display flicker lasts a few seconds and ends up with no new message in either inbox, like if OE was desperately trying to display these messages before giving up.
    I have been trying to swap between several IMAP email clients (Outlook Express 5, which first seemed to work fine except this folder structure problem; Eudora, which displayed at the root level all folders, sub-folders, sub-sub folder etc.; I'm giving a try to Netscape Composer...
    The problem may also even come from the email server.If nothing, I will again try to uninstall completely Outlook 98 and install it from scratch again, but Outlook Express is a built-in feature of Windows 2000, so I'm not sure I can do an entirely "fresh" install without reformatting the whole thing :-(((.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what mail server are you using? it sounds more like the mailbox store is corrupt or the problem is server side.

i don't think reinstalling mail clients is going to make a difference. you need to find the file that's corrupt and correct it. i'd start with renaming the storage files (on the workstation) and reopening the mail clients so they are recreated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mary,
    You were right, renaming folders' pst files allowed me to see new incoming messages in Outlook98. We are presently debugging Samba's config on the mail server (Linux-based e-smith). I still cannot see subfolders from level 3 on but should be able to fix it. Anyway, renaming files is much quicker than reinstalling the whole stuff !
    Thanks for all,