Thread: Annoying Pop Up

Thanks
    Coincidence or not, this is really getting annoying.
    I decided to give Microsoft Security Essentials a go, so I uninstalled COMODO and installed the program. Ever since then I have been receiving the attached pop up.
    Is it from them or not however is the big question. I say that because prior to that I had installed my Garmin MapSource. However I was not receiving any pop ups after that install.
    As I said this didn't start until I installed the Microsoft product.
    I uninstalled Security essentials and re installed COMODO and am running a scan now.
    The only way to get rid of this annoyance is to do a ctrl+del.
    Since uninstalling Security Essentials didnt take care of the problem I guess MapSource is next, unless any one has any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='796583' date='06-Oct-2009 08:32'][/quote]
    I don't have an answer for you, only another question: do you receive the popup spontaneously or when you try to visit a web page with your browser?

If it's spontaneous, then I think you're on the right trail, i.e. removing software, etc.

If your popup is correct and you DO NOT have web connectivity, then there could be other reasons as my dead router recently proves.

By the way, I don't know "how" you removed Comodo when you did, but nowadays I only "trust" Revo Uninstaller Freeware!

Thanks
    Yes, it is spontaneous. I have noted however that since un installing Security Essentials I have only gotten one instance. that by no means is any indication that MSE is the culprit, and is by no means a good thing. Next on the list to unistall is Garmin MapSource.
    Yup I used Revo to uninstall all.
    Since there is no information on the pop up, here is a picture of the icon that is associated with it when it is minimized. Maybe this will help in determining what this is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='796587' date='06-Oct-2009 08:20']Yes, it is spontaneous. I have noted however that since un installing Security Essentials I have only gotten one instance. that by no means is any indication that MSE is the culprit, and is by no means a good thing. Next on the list to unistall is Garmin MapSource.
    Yup I used Revo to uninstall all.
    Since there is no information on the pop up, here is a picture of the icon that is associated with it when it is minimized. Maybe this will help in determining what this is.[/quote]

That does not look like an MSE icon to me. It is rather difficult to tell for sure.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    It is not Garmin MapSource either
    Thanks John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Would a peek through Event Viewer possibly yield any hints?

Edited: I forgot, how about when the thing is active, look in Task Manager to see if you can spot something strange.

Thanks
    Ok will give that a shot. I also am trying something else too.
    I keep my Garmin nuvi plugged into my laptop when I get home and although I doubt that is the problem, I have it disconnected to see if it is trying to update or something.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Can you determine the URL that was not loaded? Sometimes this is available by right-clicking the page and choosing Properties. If that doesn't work, you could try pressing Ctrl+N to re-launch the URL in a new window with an address bar. Hopefully having the URL would provide more clues as to which program is making the request.

Thanks
    Thanks but both were no joy
    Thanks John

Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='796668' date='06-Oct-2009 15:50']Thanks but both were no joy[/quote]
    Hmmm, that probably means it is not a real IE window but a browser embedded in a form.

Have you tried the SysInternals Process Explorer? It often can identify the execution path of mystery applications and processes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Or you could try the program WinDowse. I haven't used it for years but it could be helpful in this situation.

http://www.greatis.com/delphicb/windowse/

Thanks
    Well, this just gets more interesting by the minute. This morning I was having a problem with Outlook '07. It didn't want to open. So I opened it in Safe Mode. The Windows installer appeared. I let it do its thing, and Outlook opened after that. Strange thing is though the computer has been on for a couple of hours now and no pop up.
    Think its time to leave well enough alone. Still don't know what it was though.
    Thanks John