New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Hi,

I have an Acer 5570Z laptop with Vista SP1. About month ago, pc would freeze while on internet. Now PC freezes even when not on net. I thought it was caused by SP2 install and removed it, but problem remains. Pattern: PC freezes when left idle. Desktop on, not in sleep mode. Everything looks normal, but when I try to use it again, it freezes. I can't even bring up Task Manager. Security programs show nothing. Any reasons what may be causing this?? I'm at loss as to what to try next. Thanks....

Thanks
    [quote name='PCGeek2Be' post='796626' date='06-Oct-2009 11:54']Hi,

I have an Acer 5570Z laptop with Vista SP1. About month ago, pc would freeze while on internet. Now PC freezes even when not on net. I thought it was caused by SP2 install and removed it, but problem remains. Pattern: PC freezes when left idle. Desktop on, not in sleep mode. Everything looks normal, but when I try to use it again, it freezes. I can't even bring up Task Manager. Security programs show nothing. Any reasons what may be causing this?? I'm at loss as to what to try next. Thanks....[/quote]

Welcome to the Lounge.
    I'm not very familiar with that Acer but perhaps some more details about the problem might help.

How long have you had this machine? Under warranty?
    Did it come with Vista SP1 ( what version? )
    How much memory does it have? ( have you checked the memory sticks to see if they are seated solidly? Power OFF! )
    Have you run the MS Vista compatibility tests to see if anything shows up as being not usable for Vista?
    Can you bring up Task Manager BEFORE it freezes and leave it up to see if it shows something hogging all of the resources?
    This is just a start but my gut feeling says memory or graphic card problem.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='796643' date='06-Oct-2009 13:27']Welcome to the Lounge.
    I'm not very familiar with that Acer but perhaps some more details about the problem might help.

How long have you had this machine? Under warranty?
    Did it come with Vista SP1 ( what version? )
    How much memory does it have? ( have you checked the memory sticks to see if they are seated solidly? Power OFF! )
    Have you run the MS Vista compatibility tests to see if anything shows up as being not usable for Vista?
    Can you bring up Task Manager BEFORE it freezes and leave it up to see if it shows something hogging all of the resources?
    This is just a start but my gut feeling says memory or graphic card problem.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply....My Acer was purchased in August 2006 and is no longer under warranty. It came without SP1, which I successfully installed several months ago. The laptop has 2GB memory, which was upgraded successfully several months ago from just 1GB RAM. Yes, the memory sticks are seated solidly. Thanks.
    I haven't run any MS Vista compability tests because I don't know what they are. What is the MS Vista compatibility tests I should run? How do I run these tests? No, I can't bring up the Task Manger once the pc freezes. I can't do anything on the pc once it freezes-hangs there.

Question: How would I check for memory and graphic card problems?

Thanks...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='PCGeek2Be' post='796873' date='07-Oct-2009 20:06']Hi,

Thanks for the reply....My Acer was purchased in August 2006 and is no longer under warranty. It came without SP1, which I successfully installed several months ago. The laptop has 2GB memory, which was upgraded successfully several months ago from just 1GB RAM. Yes, the memory sticks are seated solidly. Thanks.
    I haven't run any MS Vista compability tests because I don't know what they are. What is the MS Vista compatibility tests I should run? How do I run these tests? No, I can't bring up the Task Manger once the pc freezes. I can't do anything on the pc once it freezes-hangs there.

Question: How would I check for memory and graphic card problems?

Thanks...[/quote]

The question about Task Manager was can you start it before the PC freezes and let it run? That way you may be able to see if a program is causing the problem.

Have you checked your power settings? What do you allow to be powered down?

Joe
    Joe