Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I am trying to format my wife's research paper to the university's guidelines, but have run into a serious roadblock. The page numbering is to be centered in the footer (no big deal, I can do that). Starting at the 'Acknowledgements' the number is to be 'iii' (lower case Roman Numerals). Then, the first page of the paper (on chapter 1) is not to have a number, then the numbering starts on page 2. My problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot get the numbering to work right with the lower case numbers. I have tried making new sections, but the numbers carry over to page 1, or they move up to the previous pages.

We need to send the paper in tomorrow. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! The file is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kyhawkeye' post='796682' date='06-Oct-2009 21:30']I am trying to format my wife's research paper to the university's guidelines, but have run into a serious roadblock. The page numbering is to be centered in the footer (no big deal, I can do that). Starting at the 'Acknowledgements' the number is to be 'iii' (lower case Roman Numerals). Then, the first page of the paper (on chapter 1) is not to have a number, then the numbering starts on page 2. My problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot get the numbering to work right with the lower case numbers. I have tried making new sections, but the numbers carry over to page 1, or they move up to the previous pages.

We need to send the paper in tomorrow. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! The file is attached.[/quote]
    Does the attached do what you need? - You had continuous section breaks where you should have had new page section breaks, and the 'Same as Previous" settings need to be managed differently.

Can go into detail if it's helpful for next time, but under the circumstances, won't do so right now!

Gary

[attachment=85849:ResearchPTlaptop2.doc]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='kyhawkeye' post='796682' date='06-Oct-2009 21:30']I am trying to format my wife's research paper to the university's guidelines, but have run into a serious roadblock. The page numbering is to be centered in the footer (no big deal, I can do that). Starting at the 'Acknowledgements' the number is to be 'iii' (lower case Roman Numerals). Then, the first page of the paper (on chapter 1) is not to have a number, then the numbering starts on page 2. My problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot get the numbering to work right with the lower case numbers. I have tried making new sections, but the numbers carry over to page 1, or they move up to the previous pages.

We need to send the paper in tomorrow. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! The file is attached.[/quote]
    Hope this helps.

I guessed that all chapter first pages need to be without a page number. I used next page section breaks instead of your combination of continuous breaks and page breaks. You were on the right track with the different first page for each chapter section. Even though there's no number field on the first page footer, I formatted the number to be 1 for the first one and to be continuous for the rest. That way the main section page numbers, also set for continuous, would pick up the correct numbering.

Hope this helps,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='kyhawkeye' post='796682' date='07-Oct-2009 12:30']I am trying to format my wife's research paper to the university's guidelines, but have run into a serious roadblock. The page numbering is to be centered in the footer (no big deal, I can do that). Starting at the 'Acknowledgements' the number is to be 'iii' (lower case Roman Numerals). Then, the first page of the paper (on chapter 1) is not to have a number, then the numbering starts on page 2. My problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot get the numbering to work right with the lower case numbers. I have tried making new sections, but the numbers carry over to page 1, or they move up to the previous pages.

Hi Robert,

Here's another one.

What I've also done is I've bookmarked each of your appendix headings and used cross-references to insert the appendix names and (correct) page numbers, with tab leaders between them (just like your TOC).

Note: Your chapters have inconsistent numbering: 1-3 have roman numerals but 4&5 have arabic numerals. You might want to fix that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]