4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I am developing a template for our training department. The template is slightly different to the normal templates in that it would look like a 'book'. There are two pages minimum to each section. The first page is a start of a 'Part' section followed by content for that part. The document may have more than 1 'Part' sections. The attached images shows more.

Now, they want the TOC to look something like this:

[codebox]
    Part 1 Financial Concepts .................................................. ............... 8
    1 Why do the Markets exist? .................................................. ... 9
    1.1 Trade and commerce the oil for the wheel of our society ..... 9
    1.2 The need for money .................................................. ......... 9
    1.3 To invest money .................................................. ............. 11
    1.4 To raise money .................................................. ................ 14
    1.5 To spread the risks .................................................. ........... 15
    1.6 For international trade .................................................. ....... 15
    Part 2 XYZ Concepts .................................................. ............... 17
    1 Why do the Markets exist? .................................................. ... 19
    1.1 Trade and commerce the oil for the wheel of our society ..... 19
    1.2 The need for money .................................................. ......... 19
    1.3 To invest money .................................................. ............. 21
    1.4 To raise money .................................................. ................ 24
    1.5 To spread the risks .................................................. ........... 25
    1.6 For international trade .................................................. ....... 25
    [/codebox]

Is this actually possible, i.e. putting two separate paragraphs as *one on a TOC line*? I even tried adding a 'hidden' part number as part of 'Concepts' but that is (surprise, surprise) hidden in TOC.

Perhaps you guys may have an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What do they want to put on one line? I don't understand how the screenshot relates to the TOC that you describe.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='796921' date='08-Oct-2009 13:51']What do they want to put on one line? I don't understand how the screenshot relates to the TOC that you describe.[/quote]

Sorry, the TOC listed was taken from their e-mail. The screenshot is from my testing & how it will look in the template.

TOC based on my screenshot would *want* to look something like this:

[codebox]
    Part 1 Financial Concepts .................................................. ... 8
    1 Main Quiz .................................................. ................. 9
    1.1 Quiz Round 1 - Icebreaker ..................................... 9
    1.1.1. Level 3 .................................................. ..... 9
    [/codebox]

Why they want it on one line? Well they just do - although I have discouraged/am discouraging them. Each 'part' would have distinct 'concepts' with *several heading section* (1, 2, 3, 4) and therefore they would like the readers to be able to see them in the TOC. But, I had to ask you experts if it was possible. If not, they will just have another way of doing it.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The easiest workaround would be to combine the Part1 and Financial concepts paragraphs in the main document, so that it was a single heading.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be done as follows:
    - Instead of a paragraph break (Enter), use a line break (Shift+Enter) to separate "Part 1" and "Financial Concepts".
    - Apply manual formatting or preferably a character style to "Financial Concepts" to make it look the way they want.
    As a result, "Part 1" and "Financial Concepts" will be part of the same paragraph. The TOC will display them on the same line, with a space in between.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both - Hans and Stuart.

Stuart: I agree with you and is the best option but...

Hans: I have gone with your option (with training departments blessings). They make whatever manual formatting they like.

Thanks. It actually looks good.
    Thanks.
    Robie