5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is the Access board, but seeing as there isn't a SQL Server Forum, here goes...

i have a somewhat complex INSERT INTO that writes a BLOB to SQL Server:

'INSERT into dbo.ArchivedAccessDBs(AccessDB) SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET(BULK N''\\<remote machine>\DB\sskelton\' + @AccessDB + ''', SINGLE_BLOB) as Document;'

I tried all morning to change this to a two-part INSERT INTO as in

INSERT INTO Table (Field1, Field2) VALUES (Field1Value, Field2Value) and it won't work, perhaps because of the sub-SELECT statement. Anyhoo, I gave up on that and thought, "Just get the ID on the last insert and update the column to the required value". so I have this:

'INSERT into dbo.ArchivedAccessDBs(AccessDB) SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET(BULK N''\\<remote machine>\DB\sskelton\' + @AccessDB + ''', SINGLE_BLOB) as Document SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY() AS [ID];'

Which returns the ID value in the results pane as [ID] (I guess it's a virtual column) but I can't figure out how to load that value to the variable (@ID, say) and use it in another SQL call.

Any ideas?

TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't help you with your question, but this is indeed the correct forum for it - we don't get enough SQL Server questions to merit a separate forum, and Access is the nearest one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm afraid you are over my head on this one. I try to avoid T-SQL like the plague when I can. (Which is another reason that I avoid ADPs.) In theory, you should be able to do what you want in a SPROC, but I'm not proficient enough in the arcane syntax of doing things that I can help. I would suggest you try one of the sites dedicated to SQL Server - the ones I usually try when I do get stuck are www.sqlteam.com, www.sqlcentral.com and www.sqlmonster.com.
    Wendell