2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have items within a spreadsheet that get updated manually during the daytime. 6am to 9am. i need my webpage to look at that spreedsheet (excel) and if it's past 8:am and the spreedsheet is still incomplete a marquee will scroll across the screen stating late. otherwise a marque will scroll with uptime is (say 07:30 am for example).

how do I go about achieving this....

any and all idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    [quote name='CROSSFYRE2' post='797029' date='08-Oct-2009 14:39']i need my webpage to look at that spreedsheet (excel) and if it's past 8:am and the spreedsheet is still incomplete a marquee will scroll across the screen stating late. otherwise a marque will scroll with uptime is (say 07:30 am for example).[/quote]
    I'm not sure how SharePoint figures into the equation, but... Using either ASP (and ADO) or ASP.Net (and ADO.Net), you can create a web page that can read an Excel file and present information based on the contents of that file. I don't have any code samples handy, but it's certainly do-able.

What I'm not sure about is whether your web page will have the right to access the Excel file. If the Excel file is not stored in the same folder as or in a subdirectory under the web page, you may encounter security restrictions that prevent your page from reading the file automatically. In that case, the user might need to upload the file to the page from wherever it is located. I don't have any experience processing uploaded files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I'm not sure how SharePoint figures into the equation, but... Using either ASP (and ADO) or ASP.Net (and ADO.Net), you can create a web page that can read an Excel file and present information based on the contents of that file. I don't have any code samples handy, but it's certainly do-able.

What I'm not sure about is whether your web page will have the right to access the Excel file. If the Excel file is not stored in the same folder as or in a subdirectory under the web page, you may encounter security restrictions that prevent your page from reading the file automatically. In that case, the user might need to upload the file to the page from wherever it is located. I don't have any experience processing uploaded files.
    The original post doesn't make it clear whether there is a SharePoint environment in place, but if there is it makes this much easier. The Excel file can be stored in a document library in a SharePoint site. SharePoint will then handle file upload, storage and access control for you out of the box. Then a web part could be written to read the file in the document library using the SharePoint API and display an appropriate message in a marquee. This web part can then be added by the user to any page in the SharePoint site.