Thread: Paste Formula

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Having trouble copying and pasting a formula from one spreadsheet to another-it is not a link, but a formula. When I copy it and simply paste it (not a special paste), it copys the value of the formula in the source worksheet. When I try to special paste it, it is recognizing the copied formula as code...any help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you provide more detailed information? Thanks in advance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='797112' date='09-Oct-2009 09:24']Can you provide more detailed information? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

OK, I'll try. On my source worksheet, I have a formula in cell A1 (that sums values from another worksheet in the same workbook). Assume this summed value equals "150". I want to copy this formula (not value) into another workbook, that is set up exactly like the source workbook. When I try and simply copy/paste the formula from the source workbook to the destination workbook, the result in the destination workbook is the summed value, i. e., the "150", rather than the formula. When I try to copy/paste special, I get a dialogue box that that "recognizes" the copied formula as a "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet (code) Object" and then asks me how I want the destination to be pasted as. Among the various options are "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet (code) Object", "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", "Bitmap", etc. Does this help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    From your description, I get the impression that you have started Excel twice, and that the two workbooks are open in different instances of Excel. If you then copy from one workbook to the other, the information has to be passed out of one instance to Windows, and from Windows to the other instance. This causes the second workbook to treat it as external data.
    I'd close the second workbook, switch to the first workbook, and open the second workbook from there. Then try copying/pasting again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing to try is to copy the TEXT of the formula by double clicking the cell and dragging the mouse over the formula, rather than copying the entire cell.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='797122' date='09-Oct-2009 09:53']From your description, I get the impression that you have started Excel twice, and that the two workbooks are open in different instances of Excel. If you then copy from one workbook to the other, the information has to be passed out of one instance to Windows, and from Windows to the other instance. This causes the second workbook to treat it as external data.
    I'd close the second workbook, switch to the first workbook, and open the second workbook from there. Then try copying/pasting again.[/quote]

That was it-thanks Hans

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='797128' date='09-Oct-2009 10:02']Another thing to try is to copy the TEXT of the formula by double clicking the cell and dragging the mouse over the formula, rather than copying the entire cell.[/quote]

Thanks Stuart-that's what I was doing before Han's tip, but it was very cumbersome and time-sconsuming.