Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Office 2000 running on my 4 year old laptop, and it's running fine.

I am now at a hospital which has both the Home User and the Employee Purchase schemes available. I used to work in I.T., years ago, but am now a doctor using IT to my best advantage when possible. I want to bring my Office I.T. knowledge up to date. The main benefit, if I bought the version with Infopath, seems to be that I could do surveys by email. I'm also a HEAVY keyboard shortcut user because I'm fast on the keyboard, and find them great for productivity, but I've seen many reviews on Amazon etc saying that so many of these have changed, or are gone.

Any thoughts please on

1) General thoughts re: Office 2007
    2) keyboards shortcuts/menus in 2007
    3) infopath - ease of use? Sorry for this post, I imagine it's a "how long is a piece of string" answer...

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='theo' post='797215' date='10-Oct-2009 02:06']I have Office 2000 running on my 4 year old laptop, and it's running fine.

I am now at a hospital which has both the Home User and the Employee Purchase schemes available. I used to work in I.T., years ago, but am now a doctor using IT to my best advantage when possible. I want to bring my Office I.T. knowledge up to date. The main benefit, if I bought the version with Infopath, seems to be that I could do surveys by email. I'm also a HEAVY keyboard shortcut user because I'm fast on the keyboard, and find them great for productivity, but I've seen many reviews on Amazon etc saying that so many of these have changed, or are gone.

Any thoughts please on

3) infopath - ease of use? Sorry for this post, I imagine it's a "how long is a piece of string" answer...

Thanks[/quote]
    Based on what you describe, purely from a productivity perspective, I'd consider upgrading to Office 2003, rather than 2007: with Office 2003, everything you're doing in Office 2000 will probably work fine with no compatibility issues, and the interface and keyboard shortcuts will be the same. And Office 2003 includes InfoPath (I'm not an InfoPath user, so can't comment on any possible benefits of using InfoPath 2007 vs. 2003).

As far as bringing your IT skills up to date, it's funny but here it's late 2009, and I'm still doing the majority of my work with Office 2002 and 2003. I'd love to be doing more with Office 2007, but it's not where my clients are at - maybe in another year or two!....

Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    > keyboards shortcuts/menus in 2007

The menus and toolbars have completely gone in Office 2007; they have been replaced with a bulky "ribbon". See The Microsoft Office Fluent user interface overview. For most people who are familiar with the menu/toolbar interface, it takes time to get used to the ribbon, because commands have been moved around and organized into new categories that are not always logical or intuitive (the menus and toolbars weren't always logical or intuitive either, but because they remained more or less the same throughout the evolution of Office, users knew where to find things). There are handy tools to help you find things on the ribbon, but that's still another layer.

Most keyboard shortcuts from Office 2003 and before still work in Office 2007, so people who heavily use the keyboard are at an advantage.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, both

Thanks
    [quote name='theo' post='797215' date='09-Oct-2009 23:06']The main benefit, if I bought the version with Infopath, seems to be that I could do surveys by email.[/quote]
    I'm not sure how well that would work. My understanding is that if you create a form in InfoPath, the respondents would also need InfoPath in order to fill it. Since the most common flavors of Office do not include InfoPath, unless your organization commits to it, then you might not find it that useful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='theo' post='797215' date='10-Oct-2009 01:06']I have Office 2000 running on my 4 year old laptop, and it's running fine.

Any thoughts please on

Thanks[/quote]

1.) I say go for Office 2007. Just know that there will be a period of adjustment in getting used to the Ribbon. Overall, I find Office 2007 very stable and easy to use. I admit that I'm not what I would call a heavy user of any of the Office programs. Two things to consider: 1 - if you use SharePoint or think that you might use SharePoint in the next several years the Office 2007 suite integrates deeper with SharePoint than Office 2003; 2 - if you think you might start using any of the online Office capabilities to be in Office 2010, using Office 2007 with the ribbon will make the adjustment to the online apps much easier. Also, consider that according to Microsoft Support Lifecycle Office 2003 is now in extended support. With extended support the only free fixes from Microsoft will be security fixes.
    2.) keyboard shortcuts - many if not most should be the same in Office 2007 as you use now.
    3.) Infopath - if you do not have SharePoint (MOSS) with InfoPath server setup each client needs InfoPath.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hello Theo, If you decide to go with Office 2007 there are several menu add-ons you can choose from to give you the Office 2003 menu functionality, some free, and others for a fee. This is a great way to ease into the new ribbon menu system at your convenience while having a familiar menu to work with immediately upon transition to the newer Office version.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Office XP, 2003 and currently have 2007 on our home computer and am using 2003 at work. I do not recommend upgrading to 2007. It looks nice, it has a few new nice features and MS has fixed a few bugs and yes I have learned to use the RIBBON and have installed an add-on so that I have some of the familiar toolbar but why bother. I loved being able ot customise the toolbars in Office to the way I worked and what I used msot often.

Well that is all gone in 2007.

I would rather use Office XP than 2007. So upgrade to 2003 if you must.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Keelback View Post
    ....I loved being able ot customise the toolbars in Office to the way I worked and what I used msot often.

Well that is all gone in 2007.....
    I believe it is still possible to customise Toolbars in Office 2007 using VBA. That may not be what most users are looking for, but may be of use to you.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Theo
    I use Office 2007 myself and yes it does take a little getting use to. Also I never used InfoPath before, so it got me a little curious, what I found was that the menus and toolbars appear to be similar if not exact in InfoPath 2007 as I believe the previous versions are, I could be wrong because I do not have a earlier version to compare. Here is a screen view of the version I have from my Office 2007.
    [attachment=87313:info1.JPG]

As you can tell they look quite similar as the version you are presently using.
    Also below I have provided a list of all shortcut keys assigned to InfoPath 2007
    I hope this is some help
    [attachment=87314:Shortcut keys for InfoPath 2007.docx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files