New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oct 10-10-09 Cannot install Windows Live Essentials--Have cleaned disc, have tried IE, have tried FF. Keep getting..."could not write value to key\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\current\helper objects\{5C255C9A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} "
    Does anybody have help? I'm a novice. Many Thanks---PS maybe I don't even want the download????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See Windows Live Essentials on Wikipedia for a description - you can decide for yourself whether you want/need it or not.

If you want it, Microsoft's website is Essentials - Windows Live. If you click the Download button there, you can choose whether to run or save the setup file. Click Save and specify a folder on your hard disk.
    When the download has completed, locate the setup file wlsetup-web.exe in Windows Explorer. Right-click it and select Run as Administrator from the popup menu. Hopefully that will avoid the problem that you mentioned.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='797240' date='10-Oct-2009 10:07']See Windows Live Essentials on Wikipedia for a description - you can decide for yourself whether you want/need it or not.

If you want it, Microsoft's website is Essentials - Windows Live. If you click the Download button there, you can choose whether to run or save the setup file. Click Save and specify a folder on your hard disk.
    When the download has completed, locate the setup file wlsetup-web.exe in Windows Explorer. Right-click it and select Run as Administrator from the popup menu. Hopefully that will avoid the problem that you mentioned.[/quote]

Thank You, HansV

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Idgrandma' post='797237' date='10-Oct-2009 09:48']Oct 10-10-09 Cannot install Windows Live Essentials--Have cleaned disc, have tried IE, have tried FF. Keep getting..."could not write value to key\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\current\helper objects\{5C255C9A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} "
    Does anybody have help? I'm a novice. Many Thanks---PS maybe I don't even want the download????[/quote]
    IF <-------- what you are really wanting is just the "security" part of Windows Live Essentials, you would be far better to consider getting the new FREE Microsoft Security Essentials. Admittedly, it has mixed reviews but the average conclusion is that it is quite good. I'm running it on Windows 7 and an XP Pro SP3 virtual machine and so far I am very happy with it in those specific applications. Since I put my trust in Kaspersky AV way more I prefer to pay the price and go that way even though Microsoft Security Essentials is decent and probably will get better over time as it is developed.

That's my
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much. I appreciate all the input. I think I'm just going to stay where I am. I run my security center scans daily and clean my disc daily and deleat all my browsing hx daily. So, adding the amount of data needed to run "essentials" is out of my league.
    Have a great day

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Idgrandma' post='797254' date='10-Oct-2009 12:02']Thank you so much. I appreciate all the input. I think I'm just going to stay where I am. I run my security center scans daily and clean my disc daily and deleat all my browsing hx daily. So, adding the amount of data needed to run "essentials" is out of my league.
    Have a great day [/quote]
    Was this last remark about "adding the amount of data needed to run..." in reference to "Windows Live Essentials" or "Microsoft Security Essentials"? The reason I ask is: 1) They are totally different things other than sharing the word "Essentials", and 2) Microsoft Security Essentials is a single file, quick and easy installation and an initial update after which there isn't much of anything to do. It simply monitors your PC against attacks and automatically updates itself. I'm just wanting to make sure that IF all you were looking for was something different/better in the way of free antivirus/antispyware, then Microsoft Security Essentials would be definitely worth considering over most of the other freebies, e.g., AVG, Avast, etc.

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='797275' date='10-Oct-2009 15:55']Was this last remark about "adding the amount of data needed to run..." in reference to "Windows Live Essentials" or "Microsoft Security Essentials"? The reason I ask is: 1) They are totally different things other than sharing the word "Essentials", and 2) Microsoft Security Essentials is a single file, quick and easy installation and an initial update after which there isn't much of anything to do. It simply monitors your PC against attacks and automatically updates itself. I'm just wanting to make sure that IF all you were looking for was something different/better in the way of free antivirus/antispyware, then Microsoft Security Essentials would be definitely worth considering over most of the other freebies, e.g., AVG, Avast, etc.

[/quote]

Yes, It was Windows Live Essentials with email stuff, photo, messaging,etc. a ganglion of items that took over 20minutes the first time I tried to download before the roll back started. I am aware that Microsoft's Security Essentials is an excellent download, Right now I have Webroot and my contract won't run out till March. There is some overlap with Defender in the firewall department but vigilance is the key. And until I get the gumption to uninstall Webroot and get the best free security software then I just breeze along with the breeze.
    Thank You, Pilgrim