2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I'm going to throw this out to you guys because Roxio and HP have me all confused.
    I just bought an HP All-in-One 8180 printer. It has a lightscribe CD/DVD drive and a card reader as well as an touchscreen control pane that allows it to work independently of the computer.
    The printer is installed via ethernet cable to a netgear router and so is my Dell desktop.
    I had Roxio Creator Premiere installed on the desktop as OEM software, but before the printer was installed, it hadn't been working since I re-installed Vista way back when. I never needed it, so I never bothered to fix it.

When I installed the printer, it came with a basic version of Roxio. From what I can gather, the install defaulted in favour of the OEM software that came with the computer. It did fix the issue I had with Roxio, however, which now works fine except....

The CD/DVD drive doesn't come up on the computer anywhere under 'my computer', and I am unable to get it to come up in Roxio in order to record to, or print a label on a CD. The computer and Roxio only see the drives on the desktop. I can use the basic lightscribe functions from the printer touchscreen, but can't do any designs and I have to burn the CD first on the desktop then change it to the printer to do the lightscribe thing.

Roxio says that I need an HP driver, and HP says that I probably can't do anything about it because I had the OEM software installed before I tried to load the basic version which came with the printer.
    I would assume if I needed a lightscribe driver, the printer install would have taken care of it?

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. What do I do? Do I need the driver? Do I upgrade to Roxio 10? Is it because the printer is attached to the compter via router? It's fussy, I know, but one of the reasons I forked out the change for this printer was the lightscribe.
    Highly recommend the HP for printing pictures by the way.. they are gorgeous!
    Thanks in advance

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1. First you need to see if the DVD/CD drive is recognized by the system:

- Click Start > Run > type devmgmt/msc
    - When Device Manager opens expand the entry beside dvd/cdrom drives.
    - If the drive is listed uninstall it and restart the system.
    - If the Drive is not present check the BIOS and make sure drive is detected.

2. Often, when burning software is uninstalled, the problem is in the Registry. To fix this:
    - Go here: MSKB #894730
    - Automated fix: Kelly's Corner DVD/CD Fix #399
    The automated fix is a .vbs file which after downloading you double-click to run it. The result will be the same as the manual destructions found in the Microsoft KB article.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='797248' date='10-Oct-2009 16:42']1. First you need to see if the DVD/CD drive is recognized by the system:

- Click Start > Run > type devmgmt/msc
    - When Device Manager opens expand the entry beside dvd/cdrom drives.
    - If the drive is listed uninstall it and restart the system.
    - If the Drive is not present check the BIOS and make sure drive is detected.

2. Often, when burning software is uninstalled, the problem is in the Registry. To fix this:
    - Go here: MSKB #894730
    - Automated fix: Kelly's Corner DVD/CD Fix #399
    The automated fix is a .vbs file which after downloading you double-click to run it. The result will be the same as the manual destructions found in the Microsoft KB article.[/quote]

Hi Pilgrim,
    The DVD is not in Device Manager.
    Having a senior moment here.. how do I check the BIOS again?
    Thanks for your reply.