Thanks
    I want to change one of my Windows Mail Stationary files -- WM doesn't want to recognize or use Outlook stationary.

When I try to edit it in WM, it tells me I need a default editor, and if I don't have one to set it up, once installed, in "Default Programs."

I get all that, in theory.

I have he editor installed.

But if I got to Default Programs and associate WM stationary (htm files) with the editor, it then will not open htm files in Internet Explorer on a double-click.

How do I do what WM needs here?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='797287' date='10-Oct-2009 16:13']I want to change one of my Windows Mail Stationary files -- WM doesn't want to recognize or use Outlook stationary.

When I try to edit it in WM, it tells me I need a default editor, and if I don't have one to set it up, once installed, in "Default Programs."

But if I got to Default Programs and associate WM stationary (htm files) with the editor, it then will not open htm files in Internet Explorer on a double-click.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]

Rather than associate the htm files with the editor, just use the File | Open dialog in the editor. It is not surprising that after you associate the files with the editor that IE doesn't open them with a double click. After all IE is not the default program any more.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797304' date='10-Oct-2009 21:29']Rather than associate the htm files with the editor, just use the File | Open dialog in the editor. It is not surprising that after you associate the files with the editor that IE doesn't open them with a double click. After all IE is not the default program any more.

Joe[/quote]

Joe:

That's what I had thought. But I get the error below if I do that (with IE associated to htm*).

I tried working on the file in an html editor, but the text doesn't even show in the screen!

Also, it seems that WM is restricted to only a single graphic I the stationary, for, if I insert two, it will read the file, but only one will show.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='797306' date='10-Oct-2009 23:37']Joe:

That's what I had thought. But I get the error below if I do that (with IE associated to htm*).

I tried working on the file in an html editor, but the text doesn't even show in the screen!

Also, it seems that WM is restricted to only a single graphic I the stationary, for, if I insert two, it will read the file, but only one will show.

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]

If you use the File | Open dialog you get that message?

I'm not sure what the WM limitations are with stationary. You could just be out of luck.

Have you tried the same with Live Mail?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797308' date='10-Oct-2009 21:50']If you use the File | Open dialog you get that message?

I'm not sure what the WM limitations are with stationary. You could just be out of luck.

Have you tried the same with Live Mail?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, as usual, I'm a victim of my unclear descriptions:

It's Live Mail I'm using. I installed it along with the Windows Live items in Update...I just went and tried, and Windows Mail won't even open now.

I suppose I'm stuck and have to just use it only with Outlook.

Outlook Express did it, as I recall, but Windows (Live) Mail, I guess not.

Regards,
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I want to change one of my Windows Mail Stationary files -- WM doesn't want to recognize or use Outlook stationary.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Chuck,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but using HTML mail is *not* a very good idea from a security standpoint to begin with. HTML can hide too many malicious code problems. The safest, by far, is to create and view email in straight text wherever possible. You never know when your system may become infected with malware, which can spread in this manner. You can find descriptions in more detail by Googling for "email security" or "html email security" that explain this. For example, this one: <http://www.itsecurity.com/features/five-steps-email-security-092106/>

Meanwhile, many of us who have kicked around the IT field for some years normally use straight text settings for this reason.

David