3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe Im entering the wrong search terms but surely there must be a way of deleting the address bar history in IE 8 - you know, the little arrow on the right of the address bar shows a drop down list of past entered addresses, clearing autocomplete and browsing history and all other suggestions within the Internet Options tab doesnt seem to work and from searching for a solution via google etc seems Im not alone on this one. A registry edit is suggested by some but surely there must be a simple way of doing this? Any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='797311' date='11-Oct-2009 10:44']Maybe Im entering the wrong search terms but surely there must be a way of deleting the address bar history in IE 8 - you know, the little arrow on the right of the address bar shows a drop down list of past entered addresses, clearing autocomplete and browsing history and all other suggestions within the Internet Options tab doesnt seem to work and from searching for a solution via google etc seems Im not alone on this one. A registry edit is suggested by some but surely there must be a simple way of doing this? Any ideas?[/quote]

Hmmm.....answering my own question it appears that by clearing the recent list from start menu properties works but it clears all lists. Still cant believe you cant just delete the specific Internet Explorer address bar list

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If I select Tools | Internet... options, click Delete... (or press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Del) and tick only the History check box, then click Delete, this does clear the address bar dropdown list...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='797313' date='11-Oct-2009 11:03']If I select Tools | Internet... options, click Delete... (or press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Del) and tick only the History check box, then click Delete, this does clear the address bar dropdown list...[/quote]

Yes but you also lose "all history" of every thingin IE 8...I usually keep mine for 14 days....Im looking to just delete the typed addresses from the drop down in address bar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The list of typed URLs is kept in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs, in values named url1, url2, ...
    You could delete these in RegEdit, or you could create a text file with extension .vbs to do it for you:

Code:
    Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
    strComputer = "."
    Set objRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
    strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs"
    objRegistry.EnumValues HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strKeyPath, arrValueNames, arrValueTypes
    For Each strValue in arrValueNames
      objRegistry.DeleteValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValue
    Next
    Source: Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog : How Can I Clear the List of URLs That Appear in the Internet Explorer Address Bar?

I have attached a zip file with the .vbs file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can always open the Favorite's Center and then the History tab. There you can delete the different needed folders.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='797354' date='11-Oct-2009 17:46']You can always open the Favorite's Center and then the History tab. There you can delete the different needed folders.[/quote]
    But that wouldn't clear the list of typed URLs, which was the subject of this topic.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hans, You are correct.

But on my systems, if one selects the arrow and the list is displayed. If one was to move the cursor to the right edge of the list one will see a RED x, when selecting this red x the entry will be deleted.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='797359' date='11-Oct-2009 20:15']But on my systems, if one selects the arrow and the list is displayed. If one was to move the cursor to the right edge of the list one will see a RED x, when selecting this red x the entry will be deleted.[/quote]
    Yes, that works fine if you want to remove one or two entries. If the list is long and if you want to delete all entries, it quickly becomes tedious. The .vbs file could then be useful.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone suggested that you investigate all of the options in CCleaner to see how selective it can be?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    CCleaner does have a separate check box for Recently Typed URLs. You'd have to clear the other check boxes for Internet Explorer if you don't want to clean the corresponding features.
    • File Type: png x.png (14.8 KB, 0 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='797421' date='12-Oct-2009 06:36']CCleaner does have a separate check box for Recently Typed URLs. You'd have to clear the other check boxes for Internet Explorer if you don't want to clean the corresponding features.[/quote]

Never thought of CCleaner, a usefull prog I use and this appears to be the simple soloution. Although regedit is suggested by many I'm not comfortable using that and seems like a sledgehammer to crack what I feel should be a simple nut. Appreciate the imput from everyone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: deleting various histories:

The Google toolbar will delete typed urls.

The AVG toolbar has a drop-down menu that will seperately delete

-- SEARCH HISTORY
    -- BROWSER HISTORY
    -- DOWNLOAD HISTORY
    -- COOKIES

That is, if you want to have toolbars cluttering your screen.