2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While checking something in my C:\Program Files, I expanded the Java high level folder. I see the following folders therein and guess that I must have, still in place, all previous versions of Java that have been downloaded to my PC since I purchased this PC.

My Windows Explorer shows these Java sub-folders (each with multiple sub's):
    j2re1.4.2_03
    jre1.5.0_07
    jre1.5.0_09
    jre1.5.0_10
    jre1.6.0_05
    jre1.6.0_07
    jre6

The jre6 folder seems to contain the latest version I was advised to download, but I believe that all of the other folders merely contain older versions of Java that have never been deleted as newer versions where d/l to my PC. What I know about Java you can write on the head of a straight pin.

Question: can all but the jre6 folders be deleted (or offloaded to a flash drive just in case)?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='flavet' post='797539' date='12-Oct-2009 18:10']...

Question: can all but the jre6 folders be deleted (or offloaded to a flash drive just in case)?[/quote]
    Simple answer is YES, the latest version of a JRE is always the recommended version as it contains updates and improvements to previous versions. The latest available version will always be compatible with older versions.

To remove the files:

1. Click Start
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Control Panel
    4. Double click the Add/Remove Programs control panel icon
    5. The Add/Remove control panel displays a list of software on your system, including any Java software products that are on your computer. Select any that you want to uninstall by clicking on it, and then click the Remove button.
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for a quick reply. I just was not sure if the other versions were in fact earlier versions of the latest version, since the numbering was a bit different.

I guess the reason earlier versions are not removed by Java when updating is because a user may need to retain the earlier version for certain applications they use, as well as needing to obtain the latest version for other applications they may also be using. Just a guess.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='flavet' post='797549' date='12-Oct-2009 18:58']Thank you for a quick reply. I just was not sure if the other versions were in fact earlier versions of the latest version, since the numbering was a bit different.

I guess the reason earlier versions are not removed by Java when updating is because a user may need to retain the earlier version for certain applications they use, as well as needing to obtain the latest version for other applications they may also be using. Just a guess.[/quote]

I think you are right to be cautious as one of my corporate applications is for ever updating its JRE file which tends to cause other Java based apps to go a bit skewy sometimes, different applications with different minimum requirements.

I think the only way you can be really sure is to do this in controlled test environment.....if it is a home PC take a good back up and try it one file at a time
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='flavet' post='797549' date='12-Oct-2009 19:58']I guess the reason earlier versions are not removed by Java when updating is because a user may need to retain the earlier version for certain applications they use, as well as needing to obtain the latest version for other applications they may also be using. Just a guess.[/quote]
    That was the "official" reason. But I've never yet encountered an application at home or at work that required keeping an older version of Java installed. The most recent Java updates do remove the previous one, so I guess Sun isn't convinced any more either that it's necessary to keep older versions around.

Thanks
    [quote name='flavet' post='797539' date='12-Oct-2009 13:10']Question: can all but the jre6 folders be deleted (or offloaded to a flash drive just in case)?[/quote]

I would agree that the older versions could be deleted. If you wanted to be "super safe", you could just rename them for a while and see if anything complains about another version being needed.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!