Thread: chkdsk

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a one year old Acer Aspire 6920 laptop with Windows Vista. The latter has been one big headache. I have had multiple crashes and when I try to run chkdsk I receive a message "cannot open to access volume" and then skips the scan. I tried running chkdsk from the command prompt but I got a message "volume is locked" or something like that. I am open to all suggestions, although I am so frustrated that I will buy a new computer with Windows 7 as soon as my finances allow it.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Lilofee' post='797577' date='12-Oct-2009 14:29']Hi,

I have a one year old Acer Aspire 6920 laptop with Windows Vista. The latter has been one big headache. I have had multiple crashes and when I try to run chkdsk I receive a message "cannot open to access volume" and then skips the scan. I tried running chkdsk from the command prompt but I got a message "volume is locked" or something like that. I am open to all suggestions, although I am so frustrated that I will buy a new computer with Windows 7 as soon as my finances allow it.

Thanks.[/quote]

Those messages always happen when you try to run chkdsk against a partition that has files in use. When you use the GUI interface you should get asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next boot. Reply YES, OK your way out, close all your programs, and re-boot.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797580' date='12-Oct-2009 19:34']Those messages always happen when you try to run chkdsk against a partition that has files in use. When you use the GUI interface you should get asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next boot. Reply YES, OK your way out, close all your programs, and re-boot.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks for your quick reply. I did do that but I still get the same message.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lilofee' post='797592' date='12-Oct-2009 15:00']Thanks for your quick reply. I did do that but I still get the same message.

Chris[/quote]

In the GUI interface, do you select both options "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for bad"?

Does chkdsk run when you re-boot?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797605' date='12-Oct-2009 21:47']In the GUI interface, do you select both options "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for bad"?

Does chkdsk run when you re-boot?

Joe[/quote]

yes, I checked both options. ckkdisk starts to run, tells me the file is ntfs and then goes on to say cannot open to access volume. The black screen disappears and I the system starts the usual way.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lilofee' post='797622' date='12-Oct-2009 16:50']yes, I checked both options. ckkdisk starts to run, tells me the file is ntfs and then goes on to say cannot open to access volume. The black screen disappears and I the system starts the usual way.

Chris[/quote]

Have you checked the application event log to see if there is any useful information on the chkdsk run?

Even though the article says it is for XP you could try the steps in Unable to run CHKDSK?

Also, see if "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkdsk - Vista Forums or Checkdisk error "cannot open volume for direct access" - Tech Support Guy Forums or Re: Cannot open volume for direct access help.

Joe

Joe
    Joe