2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The standard mouse cursor shape is an arrow. When one enters a shape in Visio it changes to the drag symbol. When one hovers over a selector handle, it changes again to suit the anticipated resizing operation. Right ?
    Well, what is happening on my Visio screen is that when hovering over a handle, the drag symbol remains determinedly in place and does not change. MS documentation says just to wait a moment for the change to take place. All I can say is that moments must be very long on my PC.
    I have a fairly complex database model and need to fit a lot of shapes in.
    The mouse, incidentally, is a Logitech USB model.
    Can anyone advise ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the mouse pointer change back if you switch out of Visio?
    Or when Visio is not maximized and you move the mouse pointer outside the Visio window?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A very thoughtful question, Hans. Outside the Visio boundary, one sees the usual white arrowhead with a black borderline. As it passes over the Visio boundary, it changes to the horizontal two-headed arrow resizing cursor. Inside Visio, it reverts to the white arrow. If I click on an object, the resize handles appear and for as long as the cursor is inside the object, the four-headed arrow dragging cursor appears. Any moving operation causes the entire object to move. The only thing I am not getting is the resizing cursor when it hovers over the resize handles.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope a Visio expert will drop by - I'm afraid I can't offer help here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could the shapes be protected? Do the drag points show as a tiny padlock or are they squares? If so, right click the shape and choose Format>Protection and remove all the sizing protections.

If that doesn't help:
    If you drag a new shape onto the page, do you have the same problem with it?
    Does the same behaviour happen with new documents you create?
    Does the same behaviour happen if you open the file on another computer?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Spot on, Andrew. I had not noticed those tiny little locks. I released all the restraints and can now play with them to my hearts content. Actually, when I am actually designing databases, I usually use simple block diagrams (you can get more on the page!) but I decided to use fully-featured database diagrams to make it all clear to some potential clients without having to talk too much (I seem to draw a very fine line between jargon and verbosity!). I looked around to see if one can change the defaults, but it would appear that formatting is on an object by object basis (though you can make multiple selections). Thanks for your input.

Jim (Rye, 3941).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jim_from_oz' post='798631' date='18-Oct-2009 20:15']I looked around to see if one can change the defaults, but it would appear that formatting is on an object by object basis[/quote]
    Jim
    You can change the protection of all the objects at once if they came from the same object on a stencil.
    I don't know what version of Visio you are using so this might be a little different for you but have a look for a 'Document Stencil' which is a stencil which contains all the root objects that have been used in the file.

In Visio 2002 you go to File>Stencils>Document Stencil and select the object in the stencil and right click it to choose Edit Master. Change the settings for that object and close it. You will be asked if you want to apply the changes to all the objects used in the current doc.

I don't think this changes the object in the original stencil but you could always overwrite that one if you wanted to.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some more useful information, Andrew, for which I thank you. Actually, I don't use Visio all that much, except for documentation post-design, which explains what you no doubt see as my fairly rudimentary knowledge. (I did use other CAD stuff on big Unix boxes before I retired ! ). The original reason for my inquiry was to be able to scale individual objects down so that I could fit more on the page. As it happens, your suggestion did not work, because although the locks disappeared and the resize cursor appears on hover, you still cannot change the size of the entity object - it still acts as a drag-and-drop. So far as I am aware, these are the only objects which behave this way.

I did find a solution of sorts, however. If you reduce the text size from the usual 12 points to say 8 pts, the object does shrink a bit and this suffices for the moment. I will experiment with your latest suggestion and see whether the text size property can be globalised.

Jim.