Thanks
    I suppose this thread could go under Servers, or Hardware, or here!

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of using NAS devices rather than tape drives fro backing up servers. The 36/72 GB DDS-5 tapes are now becoming too small for our backups, there's no higher capacity model, and the LTO tape drives are too expensive for us, as are their tapes.

I'm looking at devices like the Buffalo Terastation III, Synology DS509+, and other manufacturers, and will probably want to get a 5 x 1.5 TB RAID-5 setup, probably running on Gigabit ethernet.

Any comments welcomed!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='797807' date='13-Oct-2009 23:58']I suppose this thread could go under Servers, or Hardware, or here!

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of using NAS devices rather than tape drives fro backing up servers. The 36/72 GB DDS-5 tapes are now becoming too small for our backups, there's no higher capacity model, and the LTO tape drives are too expensive for us, as are their tapes.

I'm looking at devices like the Buffalo Terastation III, Synology DS509+, and other manufacturers, and will probably want to get a 5 x 1.5 TB RAID-5 setup, probably running on Gigabit ethernet.

Any comments welcomed![/quote]

If you have less than 10 servers involved, check out Windows Home Server media server, backup and data recovery solution & Windows Home Server for Home Office and Small Office. See the links at use whs backup small business - Bing. One of the better sites for WHS information is in the UK - We Got Served - Windows Home Server and Your Digital Home. You might be able to get more and better information from there.

BTW, The OEM WHS is around 100$ USD if you are inclined to build your own.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797881' date='14-Oct-2009 14:35']If you have less than 10 servers involved, check out Windows Home Server media server, backup and data recovery solution & Windows Home Server for Home Office and Small Office. See the links at use whs backup small business - Bing. One of the better sites for WHS information is in the UK - We Got Served - Windows Home Server and Your Digital Home. You might be able to get more and better information from there.[/quote]
    I've yet to meet a PC in which you can install 5 disks as RAID-5 - unless it's the new Dell server we're buying! But we can't afford two of them...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='797906' date='14-Oct-2009 09:43']I've yet to meet a PC in which you can install 5 disks as RAID-5 - unless it's the new Dell server we're buying! But we can't afford two of them...[/quote]

You can install WHS on just about any kind of hardware you deem necessary. Not sure with the data duplication in WHS if RAID-5 is recommended or necessary.

It is just an easy to setup and easy to use backup solution for a small number of devices.

Joe
    Joe