Thread: NO Login prompt

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Yesterday my laptop went on a blink . Anyway, it was working fine during the day, I switched it off and re-started in the evening & that's when all my problems began. I desperately need to get stuff off it. I *do not* get the login prompt. Has anybody seen anything like this before and if so, were you able to sort it out? It stays blank when it should display the login prompt and all I see is the mouse pointer (which I can move btw). It seems my keyboard is somehow disabled.

I don't think it is virus since I ran the virus checker the previous night (as usual). Also, ran Spybot, Malaware, etc previously during the week.

I tried starting in *safe mode* but again same - all I get it 'Safe Mode' in the four corners and the mouse pointer.

I then tried the Dell XP backup CD and tried the 'Repair' option (i.e. click 'R'). Again no difference at the next re-start.

If I plug in a pen drive then I see some activity off the hard disk - as if it recognises it. But, if I plug in my portable hard-drive - then nothing .

I tried solution thrown up by Microsoft (I forget the KB number.), i.e. unpack Kernel32.dll from the backup CD onto the C:\Windows\System32. Aagain no difference.

Also, when using the backup CD to boot up, it give option to repair Windows or do a fresh re-install. The question is: if I do a fresh install, would it reformat my hard-drive or will it just do a fresh install of Windows XP? I don't mind losing programs (since I can restore them off my original CDs). I need desperately to keep *my* data.

Thanks. Look forward to your suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    One option to ensure you don't lose your data is to boot from a Live CD (I tend to use Knoppix but there are others just as good). These are bootable CDs, usually running Linux, that can be used to copy your data to a USB disk or other location.

When you have ensured your data is safe we can suggest ways to recover your system.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='797858' date='14-Oct-2009 11:41']One option to ensure you don't lose your data is to boot from a Live CD (I tend to use Knoppix but there are others just as good). These are bootable CDs, usually running Linux, that can be used to copy your data to a USB disk or other location.

When you have ensured your data is safe we can suggest ways to recover your system.[/quote]

Thanks. I will try the 'Live CD' option tonight - once I go home. I will report back tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='797858' date='14-Oct-2009 11:41']One option to ensure you don't lose your data is to boot from a Live CD (I tend to use Knoppix but there are others just as good). These are bootable CDs, usually running Linux, that can be used to copy your data to a USB disk or other location.

When you have ensured your data is safe we can suggest ways to recover your system.[/quote]

Just thought of something that I forgot to mention earlier.

I have organised laptop into multiple partitions, i.e. C:\ for OS etc, D:\CD-ROM drive, E:\Logical drive to hold my data. Therefore, if I do go for a clean install of Windows XP, would it *wipe* off my E:\ drive as well? I don't mind doing a full re-install of OS (can restore other programs of original CDs) as long as it doesn't touch my E:\ drive.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='robie' post='797886' date='14-Oct-2009 08:47']Just thought of something that I forgot to mention earlier.

I have organised laptop into multiple partitions, i.e. C:\ for OS etc, D:\CD-ROM drive, E:\Logical drive to hold my data. Therefore, if I do go for a clean install of Windows XP, would it *wipe* off my E:\ drive as well? I don't mind doing a full re-install of OS (can restore other programs of original CDs) as long as it doesn't touch my E:\ drive.[/quote]

As long as you do not mess with the partitioning as part of the install you E: drive should be fine.

Did you change any hardware or software before you turn the PC off?

Have you tried booting to "Last know good..."?

Did you give the safe mode boot plenty of time to come to the login before you gave up on it?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797889' date='14-Oct-2009 14:51']As long as you do not mess with the partitioning as part of the install you E: drive should be fine.

Did you change any hardware or software before you turn the PC off? - No. Nothing downloaded on the day plus all precautions taken earlier (virus check, spybot, etc)

Have you tried booting to "Last know good..."? Yes. Several times.

Did you give the safe mode boot plenty of time to come to the login before you gave up on it? Well, if you allow half-hour as a long time, then yes.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I have managed to backup my data using a Ubuntu Live CD (thanks Stuart). I am ready for the worse (I think) :-(.

Now, what should be my plan of action? Is there a way to recover from this catatrophe?
    Thanks.
    Robie