2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Vista Ultimate and the originally created administrator user account. Whenever I create a html file, to be used with Dreamweaver, I cannot save any changes to the file. I have to execute a "Save As".
    Also when viewing the files in Windows Explorer, a red background message appears stating: "This item is suspicious and has been blocked it. Images and links have been blocked for your safety. If you think this mail item is not fraudulent, open it."
    I use Outlook as my mail client an this file has nothing to do with my email.
    When I logged on as Administrator user account, I did not experience any of these problems. I do not want to continue using this account except for trouble shooting.
    I feel that some configuration parameter is not set properly but I cannot figure out where to find it. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='macdonell' post='797909' date='14-Oct-2009 09:51']I am using Vista Ultimate and the originally created administrator user account. Whenever I create a html file, to be used with Dreamweaver, I cannot save any changes to the file. I have to execute a "Save As".
    Also when viewing the files in Windows Explorer, a red background message appears stating: "This item is suspicious and has been blocked it. Images and links have been blocked for your safety. If you think this mail item is not fraudulent, open it."
    I use Outlook as my mail client an this file has nothing to do with my email.
    When I logged on as Administrator user account, I did not experience any of these problems. I do not want to continue using this account except for trouble shooting.
    I feel that some configuration parameter is not set properly but I cannot figure out where to find it. Can anyone help?[/quote]

In Windows Explorer, right click the file and select Properties. Look at the bottom right. Click "Unblock" and then OK your way out.

Normally, this happens with files that have been downloaded from the outside world.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797981' date='14-Oct-2009 16:06']In Windows Explorer, right click the file and select Properties. Look at the bottom right. Click "Unblock" and then OK your way out.

Normally, this happens with files that have been downloaded from the outside world.

Joe[/quote]
    I have examined the properties many times already but found nothing irregular.
    At your suggestion, I looked at the File Properties again but could not find any "Unblock" option box at the bottom right. Which tab should I be looking on: General, Security, Details or Previous Versions?
    Norman

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='macdonell' post='798138' date='15-Oct-2009 09:48']I have examined the properties many times already but found nothing irregular.
    At your suggestion, I looked at the File Properties again but could not find any "Unblock" option box at the bottom right. Which tab should I be looking on: General, Security, Details or Previous Versions?
    Norman[/quote]

The General tab. If it is blocked it will be displayed bleow the Advanced button at the bottom.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am using Vista Ultimate and the originally created administrator user account.
    What type of account are you using when having this issue?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='798155' date='15-Oct-2009 11:24']What type of account are you using when having this issue?[/quote]
    I have been using the only account on the machine, an administrator account.
    I have not been able to find any Block/Unblock chack box in the Pproperties display.
    Over the weekend I allowed a Windows update to be installed and since then my problems have disappeared.
    I cannot say too much more.
    Thak you for your time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='macdonell' post='798806' date='19-Oct-2009 10:54']I have been using the only account on the machine, an administrator account.
    I have not been able to find any Block/Unblock chack box in the Pproperties display.
    Over the weekend I allowed a Windows update to be installed and since then my problems have disappeared.
    I cannot say too much more.
    Thak you for your time.[/quote]

You're welcome. Glad it is resolved. Thanks for posting back.

BTW, do you have an idea of which update fixed things?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macdonell' post='798806' date='19-Oct-2009 11:54']I have been using the only account on the machine, an administrator account.[/quote]
    Well, your problem is licked, thank goodness, but here's a little food for thought. When you install Windows, it creates what might be called a master administrator account automatically. If you, the user, specify along the way, an account "name" you WILL have at least TWO accounts on the OS setup.

You can check yours by right-clicking My Computer, then Manage, and finally Users and Groups. Under Users you might see something like this screenshot of my setup. If not, you probably would be well served to create an administrator AND a limited user account. There's lots of reading material around the web about why a user should do that. Continued good luck to you!

[attachment=86082:2009_10_19_125340.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='798829' date='19-Oct-2009 13:03']Well, your problem is licked, thank goodness, but here's a little food for thought. When you install Windows, it creates what might be called a master administrator account automatically. If you, the user, specify along the way, an account "name" you WILL have at least TWO accounts on the OS setup.

You can check yours by right-clicking My Computer, then Manage, and finally Users and Groups. Under Users you might see something like this screenshot of my setup. If not, you probably would be well served to create an administrator AND a limited user account. There's lots of reading material around the web about why a user should do that. Continued good luck to you!

[attachment=86082:2009_10_19_125340.png][/quote]
    I spoke too soon. About 10 minutes ago, the problem returned.
    I checked the user listing. Yes there is the master admin acct and my acct "Norman" which is part of the administrators group.
    I switched to the master administrator acct and everything worked properly, no red background "Suspicious...." message appeared for the files associated with the html web pages that I am attempting to work on.
    I think that I was grasping at a solution this morning when I said that the problem disappeared with the updates on my PC. At least that is when I noted the problem had gone away.
    For now to get my work done, I am going to use the master Admin acct but I would certainly like to understand the origin of the message on those files.
    Thanks again.
    Norman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macdonell' post='798938' date='19-Oct-2009 21:46']I spoke too soon. About 10 minutes ago, the problem returned.[/quote]
    I'm gonna go fishing now. In your first post you said: "Whenever I create a html file, to be used with Dreamweaver ..."

Are you using Dreamweaver to create this new file? If so, we haven't focused on that product. Can you possibly try some other HTML editor for a temporary test? There's lots of free ones out there on the web. I guess I'm simply wanting to see if it's something in Windows that doesn't like you using the extension "HTM(L)" or if the problem possibly lies in some function within Dreamweaver or an update of the product.

In other words, let's try to duplicate your "routine" except NOT use Dreamweaver.