Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop. I ran Update, which said Vista had never been updated. This was a bit of a warning, since I have installed updates every few weeks. Windows said I had a lot of updates to install. I tried to proceed, but the computer repeatedly hung up without downloading all of them. I wish I had seen the recent post that recommended installing a few at a time, but I was concerned that I might install them out of order and cause a problem. Over the course of several tries, in which I stopped the download several times when it said it was hung up at 99%, Windows did finally install all but 8 of the updates. I shut down and restarted, returned to Windows Update, and it said I had never updated and offered to start all over. I shutdown and restarted again, and it said I had 8 updates to do, which I tried to do but it hung up.

The system is very unstable now. I can get Vista to load in regular mode or safe mode, but if I try more than a couple of mouse clicks (to try to get to a recovery point, for example) it locks up with the little circle running beside the cursor but nothing happening on the CPU meter or the hard disk light.

Now we seem to have more problems. On some of the restarts Windows ran the disk check, which usually deleted some quotation marks from files, then in step 3, checking indexes, it would quit suddenly at about index entry 170,000 of 190,000. It quits at the same point on each restart. I tried running chkdsk from the command line, but that doesn't run. Windows Update will not run because it says the disk has errors, then disk check will run again at startup and quit again. I have started in Safe mode and have started from the system disk. I can't return to a recovery point because it has to do the disk check first, and the disk check will not compelte.

So, my question is, is there anything I can do before reinstalling Vista?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Judy M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds like a hardware fault to me, maybe a faulty disk drive.

If I am right then reinstalling Vista onto the same disk drive is not going to help.

Does the laptop have any hardware diagnostics that can be run from the BIOS?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear StuartR,

I have reluctantly come to the same conclusion you did. I ran scr/scannnow, and it stopped at 14% of the disk. We'll take it back to Best Buy and get it checked out. They say they can replace the HDD if necessary.

I read some good advice in another post, to get an enclosure and keep the disk, in case we can get any files we may want off of it. Then I can get a HDD to put in the enclosure, and maybe use that to back up my computer.

Fortunately my husband mostly uses a web mail program and surfs the internet, so he didn't have anything critical on the hard drive.

Thank you very much!

Judy M