Thread: Memo Field

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to get a memo field in Access exported to an Excel workbook, but it is truncated at 254 characters. It does not matter if I use the export or just do a copy and paste, the result is the same.

Is there a way to have the complete memo filed contents export to the cell in Excel?

Thanks
    Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Depending on the version of Excel you are using, cells are limited to 255 characters. I believe that applies to Excel 2002 and earlier versions. 2003 and 2007 support up to 32,767 characters. Note that only the first 1024 characters appear in the cell for those versions, but in the edit bar, you can see the entire string.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you exporting?

As a test, I exported the tblEmployees table in the Northwind sample database to an Excel 97-2002 worksheet using File | Export... in Access 2002.
    The memNotes field wasn't truncated:

[attachment=85974:x.png]

(For Wendell: in Excel 2002, a cell can contain 32,767 characters but only the first 1,024 are displayed in the cell itself.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.3 KB, 0 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am just using the Export from the File menu and exporting the entire table.
    I think the issue is the way the field is formatted. There are several carriage returns and / or line feeds in the field. (it is an email that has been copied to the field)

I can clear the CR/LF from the field and it will export fine, but then in Excel is more or less unreadable.

Any ideas on how to get it out formatted?

Thanks
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can tell Excel to wrap text in the memo field column (in the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog).

The result will look slightly strange because Access uses Carriage Return + Line Feed as a line end, and Excel only a Line Feed, so you're left with unused Carriage Returns, which look like a box in Excel.