3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm dying over here...5+ minutes to open or save a 24 page document locally. Is Norton maybe f'ing up Word performance? If there are any settings I can adjust in Norton Protection Center, or in Vista, to improve things, that would be great. This terrible slowness is more pronounced today, but in general, my system, which is a Dell XPS M1730, is plenty fast enough to be able to do such tasks very quickly.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it could be Norton AntiVirus.

The following description is for NAV 2010:

Open Norton AntiVirus.
    Click Settings (next to Computer, see screenshot)

[attachment=85975:nortonan...irus2010.jpg]

The 4th setting under Computer Scans is "Microsoft Office Automatic Scan".
    This should be turned Off.
    As long as AutoProtect is on, you're still safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='797957' date='14-Oct-2009 11:45']I'm dying over here...5+ minutes to open or save a 24 page document locally.[/quote]
    Microsoft just issued a huge slew of patches, and Adobe's is another 40MB, so you may have a lot of background activity today downloading and installing these updates. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and look at the Task Manager's Processes tab to see whether that identifies a particular program using a lot of CPU or disk. (You might need to view more columns to see the disk activity.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    on the advice of some folks at work, I removed resource hog Norton and replaced it with M$ Security Essentials. Fingers crossed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Norton AntiVirus was this? The 2009 and 2010 versions aren't resource hogs at all. It was true of the versions from several years ago, but Symantec has listened to the criticism. Yet people keep on repeating the "resource hog" mantra without ever checking.

See for example Norton AntiVirus 2009 Internet security and firewall reviews - CNET Reviews and Norton AntiVirus 2010 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    replaced norton with a similar M$ app. system performance difference is night and day. not gonna use norton again.