Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have I missed something or some announcement about Microsoft maybe not offering updates or support for Office 2000 anymore? I noticed in the last couple months that after I do the monthly MS updates and then go to the Office Update site I no longer can find a way to have that site automatically check my machine to see if there are any available updates for Office 2000 like it used to do. I don't believe it is included in the check for updates at Microsoft Update site. I know Office 2003 is checked there but Office 2000 has never been checked there as far as I know and that is why I kept a link to the Office Update site handy.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='hlewton' post='797992' date='14-Oct-2009 15:27']Have I missed something or some announcement about Microsoft maybe not offering updates or support for Office 2000 anymore? I noticed in the last couple months that after I do the monthly MS updates and then go to the Office Update site I no longer can find a way to have that site automatically check my machine to see if there are any available updates for Office 2000 like it used to do. I don't believe it is included in the check for updates at Microsoft Update site. I know Office 2003 is checked there but Office 2000 has never been checked there as far as I know and that is why I kept a link to the Office Update site handy.

Thanks.[/quote]

From Office Family Product Support Lifecycle FAQ:

Office 2000 – Microsoft will continue to offer mainstream support for Office 2000 through June 30, 2004. The Office 2000 extended support period will last from July 1, 2004 through July 14, 2009. The latest Office 2000 service pack is required for hotfix support.

For more details see Office 2000 Support Ends in July, 2009 - Office Update site to also retire - Softpedia. From that article:

“Starting August 1, 2009, Microsoft will discontinue support for the Office Update website. Customers can access the equivalent functionality of the Office Update site via Microsoft Update. This move will allow us to provide a more simplified and consistent experience for users across Microsoft products. "

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='797994' date='14-Oct-2009 16:31']From Office Family Product Support Lifecycle FAQ:

Office 2000 – Microsoft will continue to offer mainstream support for Office 2000 through June 30, 2004. The Office 2000 extended support period will last from July 1, 2004 through July 14, 2009. The latest Office 2000 service pack is required for hotfix support.

For more details see Office 2000 Support Ends in July, 2009 - Office Update site to also retire - Softpedia. From that article:

“Starting August 1, 2009, Microsoft will discontinue support for the Office Update website. Customers can access the equivalent functionality of the Office Update site via Microsoft Update. This move will allow us to provide a more simplified and consistent experience for users across Microsoft products. "

Joe[/quote]Thank you Joe. I even did a google search for this before I posted and still I didn't find this article.

Would it do any good and is it even possible to download all the updates that are listed for Office 2000 and place them onto a CD or DVD in the event I ever need to reload Office 2000?
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='797999' date='14-Oct-2009 15:55']Thank you Joe. I even did a google search for this before I posted and still I didn't find this article.

Would it do any good and is it even possible to download all the updates that are listed for Office 2000 and place them onto a CD or DVD in the event I ever need to reload Office 2000?[/quote]

Most likely the Knowledge Base articles are still available. I'm not sure all the downloads are. But checking KB articles would be the place to start.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='797999' date='15-Oct-2009 07:55']Thank you Joe. I even did a google search for this before I posted and still I didn't find this article.

Would it do any good and is it even possible to download all the updates that are listed for Office 2000 and place them onto a CD or DVD in the event I ever need to reload Office 2000?[/quote]I'd recommend downloading all of them (except SP2, because you don't need it to install SP3) - there's no telling how long MS will keep them on-line for now and, even then, server reorganisations there might break existing links.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I'll see if I can find a way to download them to save to a disk.
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft put out a CD with SP1 and SP2 for Office 2000, i've a copy obtained from the Auckland New Zealand Microsoft Office agent, only had to pay the postage. Also a PC magazine disk had all available patches on it so if you get stuck email an address.
    I run Office 2000 Premium on my Vista laptop, i fully patched it to Sp3 and though can't run Outlook all other working fine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For details on how to run older versions of Outlook on Vista, see: http://outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently re-built a secondary machine with a fresh install of WinXP and Office 2000. Spent a lot of time going around in circles on various MS web-sites, trying to get the Service Packs. Windows Updater would NOT work in spite of MS saying they had migrated Office 2000 updates to that portal. Also found links to manually download the SPs but, being a MicroSoft site, they couldn't actually be downloaded or wouldn't install [I can't recall which].

Ho hum. I gave up.

If anyone knows of a clever work-around, I'm all ears. [I note the comment about obtaining SP1 & 2 from New Zealand however I really want SP3 too.

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Clive,

You may need to update the Windows Installer! I resurrected a Windows XP system for some neighbours recently and that was one of the first updates I had to install - Windows kept throwing installer-related error messages with every attempt to do an update until I did that. After updating the installer, everything went sweetly.

Aside from that, you don't need the Office 2000 SP2 updates, just the SR1 & SP3 updates, plus the post-SP3 updates (after installing SP3, the Office update site will let you know which ones).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Woodward View Post
    I recently re-built a secondary machine with a fresh install of WinXP and Office 2000. Spent a lot of time going around in circles on various MS web-sites, trying to get the Service Packs. Windows Updater would NOT work in spite of MS saying they had migrated Office 2000 updates to that portal. Also found links to manually download the SPs but, being a MicroSoft site, they couldn't actually be downloaded or wouldn't install [I can't recall which].

Ho hum. I gave up.

If anyone knows of a clever work-around, I'm all ears. [I note the comment about obtaining SP1 & 2 from New Zealand however I really want SP3 too.
    Support for Office 2000 ended July 14, 2009. The Office update site was decomissioned August 1, 2009. See Office Sustained Engineering : Office 2000 and Office Update Site to Retire & About Office Update - Downloads - Microsoft Office Online.

See Downloads for Office 2000 - Downloads - Microsoft Office Online for links to downloads.

Joe
    Joe