Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft came out with many updates today and unfortunately I followed their advise and installed all the updates. Since doing that I can no longer use Windows Explorer to see the other computers on my network under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows Network - Workgroup. The strange thing is I can still send files from one computer to another with paths that I had mapped previously yet can't see those folders, as I said, using Windows Explorer. I hate to think of running a system restore to return the computers to the state they were before the updates but I can't think of any other option. The only thing it shows when I click on My Network Places then Microsoft Windows Network then Workgroup is the folders on the machine I am on at the time.

Any suggestions on making the Windows Explorer work properly again? BTW this is happening on more than one machine and the only thing I changed was installing those update from MS.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='798041' date='14-Oct-2009 20:11']Microsoft came out with many updates today and unfortunately I followed their advise and installed all the updates. Since doing that I can no longer use Windows Explorer to see the other computers on my network under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows Network - Workgroup. The strange thing is I can still send files from one computer to another with paths that I had mapped previously yet can't see those folders, as I said, using Windows Explorer. I hate to think of running a system restore to return the computers to the state they were before the updates but I can't think of any other option. The only thing it shows when I click on My Network Places then Microsoft Windows Network then Workgroup is the folders on the machine I am on at the time.

Any suggestions on making the Windows Explorer work properly again? BTW this is happening on more than one machine and the only thing I changed was installing those update from MS.

Thanks.[/quote]
    Hmmm . . . . I too applied all of the MS updates to all of the computers in our house, and using Windows Explorer, I can still see all of the computers from every machine. I can't say definitely that it wasn't an update that caused your problem, but my network (and Windows Explorer) is functioning normally. BTW, my network is a mixture of XP and Vista machines.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='hlewton' post='798041' date='14-Oct-2009 19:11']Microsoft came out with many updates today and unfortunately I followed their advise and installed all the updates. Since doing that I can no longer use Windows Explorer to see the other computers on my network under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows Network - Workgroup. The strange thing is I can still send files from one computer to another with paths that I had mapped previously yet can't see those folders, as I said, using Windows Explorer. I hate to think of running a system restore to return the computers to the state they were before the updates but I can't think of any other option. The only thing it shows when I click on My Network Places then Microsoft Windows Network then Workgroup is the folders on the machine I am on at the time.

Any suggestions on making the Windows Explorer work properly again? BTW this is happening on more than one machine and the only thing I changed was installing those update from MS.[/quote]

What operating systems are in use?

Have all the machines had the patches applied?

Have they all been re-booted?

Have you changed any firewall settings? What firewall are you using? What happens if you turn the firewall off?

Are all your drive mappings intact?

Is file and print sharing still enabled for your network connection?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='798133' date='15-Oct-2009 10:38']What operating systems are in use?

Have all the machines had the patches applied?

Have they all been re-booted?

Have you changed any firewall settings? What firewall are you using? What happens if you turn the firewall off?

Are all your drive mappings intact?

Is file and print sharing still enabled for your network connection?

Joe[/quote]
    I'm sorry guys but for some reason I did not receive notification of any replies to this thread. I am receiving them for other threads today so it is confusing. Anyway:

All my machines have XP on them

They have all been rebooted multiple times

The firewall has not been changed since I had it working properly before yesterday. It is Sunbelt's Firewall. When it is off I still cannot see my other computers since installing the updates yesterday

I assume all the drive mappings are intact because I can send files form one computer to the others using the mappings. I could not map another now if I tried since I cannot see them in Windows Explorer.

Yes file sharing is still enabled and under services: Computer Browser, Server, and Workstation are all started automatically.

On one machine when I try to drill down to see my network I get a "Workgroup not accessible" error yet I can send and receive files on it back and forth with the other computers I have mapped.

On the other computers I have checked when I try drilling down to see my network all it shows is the folders on the machine I am using at the time.

Before installing these updates everything was working perfectly. I know this because I just recently, within a week, installed the above mentioned firewall and had to get technical support to make changes to the settings with it to make sure I could browse to my other computers from any other one I may be on at the time. It worked perfect from last Wednesday and now it does not even when the firewall is off. The browsing is the same now with or without the firewall on. The absolute only change that I made was the updates.

OK I just turned on all my computers to check this out further. The one I am using I call it my main computer and it appears it may be the problem. I had done all my testing that I mentioned above with this computer. I come to find out that with all 5 computers on they can all see the other computers with the exception of this one, my main computer. They cannot see it at all. And on the main computer I cannot see any of the other computers at all. That error I mentioned above also disappears when the other computers are on. I have checked the share on this one and even shared C: drive itself and still cannot see other computers or have them see this one.

Any ideas? Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Viewing a computer from explorer requires the use of the network browser, which is a notoriously fickle piece of software.

Could you please try the following commands from a command prompt (Start > Run > CMD)

On the PC where you have shared the folder
    > NET SHARE
    (This will confirm that the folder is still shared)

On the PC where you are trying to access the folder
    > NET VIEW \\computer
    (where computer is the name of the computer that has shared the folder)
    > NET VIEW \\192.168.1.23
    (where 192.168.1.23 is the IP address of the computer that has shared the folder)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='798230' date='15-Oct-2009 16:54']Viewing a computer from explorer requires the use of the network browser, which is a notoriously fickle piece of software.

Could you please try the following commands from a command prompt (Start > Run > CMD)

On the PC where you have shared the folder
    > NET SHARE
    (This will confirm that the folder is still shared)

On the PC where you are trying to access the folder
    > NET VIEW \\computer
    (where computer is the name of the computer that has shared the folder)
    > NET VIEW \\192.168.1.23
    (where 192.168.1.23 is the IP address of the computer that has shared the folder)[/quote]
    I'm sorry I'm confused. I'm going to have to try to figure this out and do as you ask because all my computers have shared folders.

In the meantime it seem with each reboot things change and nothing is consistent except the fact that I cannot see all the computers at one time. Even once I saw a moment ago are not showing up now.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='798231' date='15-Oct-2009 22:05']I'm sorry I'm confused. I'm going to have to try to figure this out and do as you ask because all my computers have shared folders.
    ...[/quote]
    Just issue the above commands on each computer.
    the NET SHARE command checks that folders have been shared
    the NET VIEW \\computername checks that a share is visible from another computer
    the NET VIEW \\a.b.c.d (IP Address) checks that a share is visible without depending on name translation

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='798237' date='15-Oct-2009 17:22']Just issue the above commands on each computer.
    the NET VIEW \\computername checks that a share is visible from another computer
    the NET VIEW \\a.b.c.d (IP Address) checks that a share is visible without depending on name translation[/quote]
    So I need to know the IP address of each machine along with its name? I do know how to find both of those but should I have all the computers running while doing this? Also what am I looking for in the command window of each machine?

Sorry but all this is new to me. However, I have checked all machines to make sure that simple file and print sharing is enabled and the My Documents Folder on each machine is shared so I'm just not sure what this command from the command window is supposed to show me. If I issue for instance from computer 1 the command NET VIEW \\computer2 what should I see if it is in fact shared as I think it is?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When was the last time you shut them all down and then brought each one up at one a time?

Awhile back, I had the same problem that you are having but it was with only a couple of the machines out of 6. After a complete network shut down, I fired up my main machine and then each of the one at time. The problem disappeared and I have not seen this same problem since.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='798295' date='15-Oct-2009 22:24']When was the last time you shut them all down and then brought each one up at one a time?

Awhile back, I had the same problem that you are having but it was with only a couple of the machines out of 6. After a complete network shut down, I fired up my main machine and then each of the one at time. The problem disappeared and I have not seen this same problem since.[/quote]
    I have turned them on and off quite frequently in the past couple days. The strangest thing just now happened. I was just able to see the computers from my main computer the first time I tried and the second time I tried after rebooting on another computer my main computer then came up with the error message that the Workgroup was not available and I may not have permission to use the network when not 2 minutes before it saw another computer. Something is very strange.

I have experimented even further and it seems that when I reboot one computer I lose the ability to see the other computer that was already immediately visible ahead of that reboot. And on one computer I lost the ability to see any of the other computers.

I will try to do those NET VIEW things but I still don't know what I'm supposed to look for.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='798237' date='15-Oct-2009 17:22']Just issue the above commands on each computer.
    the NET VIEW \\a.b.c.d (IP Address) checks that a share is visible without depending on name translation[/quote]
    OK I did all of this with 3 of my computers and the results I saw were:
    After issuing the NET SHARE command on each computer I saw a list of devises and folders on that computer and the statement saying the command completed successfully.

After issuing the NET VIEW command for both the computer name and IP address I saw shared drives and devices on whatever computer I used in the command path or map whatever it is called. I was able to see all three computers from each other using these commands.

To check further and make sure most of my bases were covered I turned on the 4th computer and did the same and with the same results. I could see all 4 computers using these commands. I did not turn on the 5th one because I rarely use it and I'd bet the results would be the same anyway.

Still I cannot reliably see any of them using Windows Explorer on any of the machines. I am still thinking that one of MS's updates did something to the Windows Explorer and apparently it did it on all 5 of my computers. That seems to me to be the only common link here.

Does this tell us anything and how can I fix it?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, this is really good because it tells us that you just have a problem with the network browser, and that the shared drives can all be seen when you know the computer names.

The easiest workaround will be for you to use Windows Explorers "Map Network Drive" feature to make the network drives available on the computers where you need to access them.

In Windows XP you can
    • Start Windows Explorer
    • Select "Map Network Drive" from the tools menu
    • Choose a drive letter in the top dropdown box
    • Enter \\computername\sharename in the bottom dropdown box
    • Select "Reconnect at logon
    • Click Finish
    Repeat this for each share you want to access on each computer where you want to access it, you only need to do this once and it will be remembered.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='798372' date='16-Oct-2009 09:31']OK, this is really good because it tells us that you just have a problem with the network browser, and that the shared drives can all be seen when you know the computer names.

The easiest workaround will be for you to use Windows Explorers "Map Network Drive" feature to make the network drives available on the computers where you need to access them.

In Windows XP you can
    • Start Windows Explorer
    • Select "Map Network Drive" from the tools menu
    • Choose a drive letter in the top dropdown box
    • Enter \\computername\sharename in the bottom dropdown box
    • Select "Reconnect at logon
    • Click Finish
    Repeat this for each share you want to access on each computer where you want to access it, you only need to do this once and it will be remembered.[/quote]
    But don't I already have this with the mapped drives from before that I can still see and access? I can click on these network drives that are listed under My Network Places and open them. They just don't have letters assigned to them. They have names instead of letters which I think I named years ago with a little utility I use called FileTargets. I just can't use see them with or use Windows Explores to browse to them as I should be able to do and have done up till Wednesday of this week. Why would this have changed? Believe me I am tempted to do a system restore on these machines and see if I can get back to it all working as it was.

BTW the browsing capability of FileTargets to map new drives no longer works either since I am sure it depends on Windows Explorer to do its browsing.

I guess I am paranoid because if I don't get Windows Explorer working properly again and know so little about how to really use a network like mapping the way you mentioned above, I am afraid that if and when I add another printer connected to one of my machines like I have now I won't be able to share it with all my machines since I would not be able to find it by pointing and clicking to browse to it. I just tested the Add New Printer and the browse does not work there either so I assume it is all tied to the Windows Explorer in some fashion. That is why I think it is so important to get it working again on all my computers.

If I do a system restore would MS's update site recognize that their updates are no longer installed on my machines? If so then maybe I could reinstall them 1 at a time until I found the problem assuming that the restore would actually fix the Windows Explorer problem.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I also just thought of something else about the mapping as suggested above. At one time I had a problem of it taking forever to boot up and the only way I got it fixed was by following this suggestion from Joe:

[quote name='joeperez' post='711194' date='14-May-2008 22:36']Indexing happens automatically. Depending on how much you use your PC it could take quite a while for it to catch up if you allow system files to be indexed. You should also check Windows Explorer - Tools | Folder Options | View and make sure "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is NOT checked.

The speed with which WIndows updates checks is highly dependent on the hardware and available resources. An hour is excessive though.

Joe[/quote]

If I told mapped drives to reconnect at logon wouldn't that again slow my boot process up especially because other computers may not be on at the time?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You stated that you reboot your machines and you still have this problem.

BUT, did you turn them ALL off so none of them are running, as I asked before, and then turn each on one at a time?

I do NOT use Mapped drives, all I do browse to the shares from within Windows Explorer, mapped drives have always had issues on WorkGroup networks in my opinion.

If the Mapped drive is NOT up and running, then the machine being started can not find that drive. The mapped drive routine was designed for the "Domain" networks where the servers were always on before the user machines are.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast