New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi! I am putting together a master doc. using chapters that were previously in normal format. ( Manuscript) The new format is
    half-page, odd-even (novel style) My problem is that I find the occasional header that is way too deep. I can adjust some of them using the left-hand ruler, but it is very erratic: a slight movement and the whole page becomes the header! I have the headers separated into sections, broken from the previous section. Any Ideas? Thanks, Rodmaru.

Thanks
    [quote name='Rodmaru' post='798061' date='14-Oct-2009 21:37']My problem is that I find the occasional header that is way too deep. I can adjust some of them using the left-hand ruler, but it is very erratic: a slight movement and the whole page becomes the header! I have the headers separated into sections, broken from the previous section.[/quote]
    First, are you really still using Word 6 (from way back in 1994)?

Second, I don't understand whether you are referring to page headers (usually not part of the document body) or Heading styles. If you are applying Heading styles, you might prefer to work in Outline view. This simply eases the process of moving blocks of text up and down a level, and does not actually determine the size or indentation of the Heading styles, which you can set in the styles dialog (whatever it was called back then).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Word can justify the page setup for a section to align top, bottom, center or justified. The default is top and this is rarely changed but when the page setup is bottom or center then it appears that the header changes its height from page to page.

Check what you have set under File>Page Setup>Layout>Vertical Alignment

If you have a large number of sections then this can be painstaking to fix so you might want to consider exactly how many sections your document really needs.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia