3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Editing a document that has a 1 for the 1st footnote, but a 4 for the 2nd footnote (and 5 for 3rd, etc.). I need to alter the numbering for 4 to 2, and have the remaining numbers follow suit. Was hoping this process would work akin to the Continue numbering feature, but alas, no luck. Can anyone explain to me how I can accomplish this? Thanks.

PS- right clicking on the 4 footnote and selecting Define New Number Format>Number Format: replaced 1. with 2. doesn't seem to work b/c the OK tab field is greyed out. Also, selecting the drop down Footnote and Endnote box, Start at: change 1 to 2 had the bizarre effect of creating a two page gap between the text before the footnote and that after (and didn't even change the 4 to 2)...basically, it had a bizarre effect.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your document contain tracked changes?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That might well be the cause of the problem. Once all tracked changes have been accepted or denied (and Track Changes has been turned off), the numbering will probably correct itself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, that's a shame. Need to keep changes tracked throughout the editing process so that diff't folks can see who's done what.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That's OK, but you'll have to live with incorrect footnote numbers during the reviewing process.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='798170' date='15-Oct-2009 16:55']Hmmm, that's a shame. Need to keep changes tracked throughout the editing process so that diff't folks can see who's done what.[/quote]
    Do the numbers look correct if you set Word to display the Final version, rather than Final with markup?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    no, still as i describe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='798191' date='16-Oct-2009 04:39']no, still as i describe[/quote]
    Hi ben,

Are any of the 'missing' footnotes the subject of tracked deletions? If so - and especially if those footnotes appear elsewhere (making retention of the nominally-deleted footnotes redundant) - temporarily switching off Track Changes and deleting the nominally-deleted footnotes should fix things.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]