jwaniek

"Open" box does not appear (XP/2002)

I upgraded my machine to Office XP and just received a new Dell with XP preinstalled, and both machines exhibit the same strange behavior in Word (only in Word, not in Excel). When I select the File Open icon or type Ctrl-O after I have started Word, no File Open box appears, but the Word taskbar icon starts to blink. When I click on the blinking icon, Word shrinks, and the File Open box appears. When I select a file to open, the File Open box closes, but Word is still shrunk to an icon. When I click on the Word icon, it opens up with the document.
    Subsequent clicks on the File Open icon or Ctrl-O work normally, i.e. the File Open box gets superimposed over World.
    None of this happens, however, if I select File | Open from the menu. Then everything works normally, even the first time.
    I should add that my default document directory is my personal directory on the network.
    Has anybody else experienced this strange behavior? And if yes, is there a fix, because it is kind of annoying. Using File | Open is not that complicated, but people tend to get into a rut, and the little icons and shortcuts are there for a reason, after all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: "Open" box does not appear (XP/2002)

Have you disabled your New Document task pane? MS explains the Task Pane Microsoft's Office site. Also, you may want to visit the update site linked on the left of both those pages and make sure you have the update installed.

HTH.
    Karen

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: 'Open' box does not appear (XP/2002)

Where is the setting to enable/disable the 'New document' task pane?

thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can read about it available here.
    Karen

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks.
    However the MS sites do not tell me how to control the Task Pane's (TP) visibility in the context of creating new blank documents.
    EG
    1. View TP
    2. Create new blank document (TP no longer visible - How do I keep it visible here automatically?)
    3. Switch back to previous document - TP gone - I would like it to be preserved automatically.

I find it unnerving that I can ask for the TP to be visible and then do a simple action which has the side-effect of making the TP disappear.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you select a file or template from the New Document Task Pane, the pane immediately hides itself, so you get more space for your document. With a Registry tweak you can change this behavior, so that the Task Pane stays displayed at all times (unless you expressly close it). This setting must be made under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Common General. The value name is DoNotDismissFileNewTaskPane; the DWORD value must be 0 or 1. Note that this affects the Task Pane of all Office XP aplications. The following code creates the setting that leaves the Task Pane displayed after you've created or opened a document:

Dim WSHShell As Object
    Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WSHShell.RegWrite _
    "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0" & _
    "CommonGeneralDoNotDismissFileNewTaskPane", _
    1, "REG_DWORD"
    Set WSHShell = Nothing

New Lounger
    Thanks

Go to the Microsoft.com knowledgebase and search for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q286/8/57.ASP> Article ID: Q286857</A>. It describes the problem exactly. That's the good news.
    The bad news: there is no fix, though a simple minimize/maximize of the Word window before trying to open a document works for me.

Jerry

**edited by bam to include KB URL and tags**