Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I use XP and Word 2003. I have several documents whose footer has the Filename field left aligned, and a Date field right aligned via a right aligned Tab. Some of them also have a centered page number. One of them is attached.

In any screen view of the documents, the Filename and Date are perfectly aligned at the top of the footer area. But when the document is printed, the Date is slightly higher than the Filename. The "slightly" varies from zero to three to six points, it seems.

I've experimented with this, using spaces instead of Tabs to position the Date field. When it's not too far from the Filename field, its vertical position is fine. But when it gets a few inches to the right of that, it jumps upward.

I've printed the documents on my LaserJet 1300 and my PDF995 program, and it the problem appears on both.

This is surely not a major problem, but it IS a problem, and it has defied my attempts to troubleshoot it. Does anyone have any ideas about it?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='798266' date='15-Oct-2009 19:06']I use XP and Word 2003. I have several documents whose footer has the Filename field left aligned, and a Date field right aligned via a right aligned Tab. Some of them also have a centered page number. One of them is attached.

In any screen view of the documents, the Filename and Date are perfectly aligned at the top of the footer area. But when the document is printed, the Date is slightly higher than the Filename. The "slightly" varies from zero to three to six points, it seems.

I've experimented with this, using spaces instead of Tabs to position the Date field. When it's not too far from the Filename field, its vertical position is fine. But when it gets a few inches to the right of that, it jumps upward.

I've printed the documents on my LaserJet 1300 and my PDF995 program, and it the problem appears on both.

This is surely not a major problem, but it IS a problem, and it has defied my attempts to troubleshoot it. Does anyone have any ideas about it?[/quote]
    Even looking at your document onscreen, it has the appearance of the page number being higher up than the filename and date. I think that's because you have the page number set to 10 points, while the filename and date are set to 8 pts. Because all of these elements are part of the same paragraph, the effect is that the filename and date get 'pushed down' slighty (2 pts) by the taller page number element in the middle (what's really going on is that the font height gets measured from the baseline, so to accommodate the 10 pt height of the date text, you get the appearance of 2 extra points of blank space above the text that's 8 pts).

If you were to try reducing the page number to 8 pts also, you should see the tops of all of the elements align.

Another helpful thing in troubleshooting this is to go to Tools > Options, View tab, and make sure Text Boundaries are showing - that will make what's going on, more clear.

Gary

Thanks
    The problem exists whether there's a page number or not. Most of the documents don't have them. This one DOES have a larger page number, since that's what I want on it.

Even with the larger page number, at 200% magnification in Print Layout view, the bottoms of the characters in all three fields are perfectly aligned (I can see them all on the screen at once). The same is true at 500%, but I have to scroll horizontally to see the fields.

After I made the original post, I printed the document out on a different printer, an HP Business Inkjet 2800. Pages 1-3 had the misalignment problem, but page 4 was perfect.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I'm still fooling around with this. It might have something to do with the font size of the paragraph mark to the right of the Date field. At this point I'm not even sure that the problem is reproducible, though.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Here's a different document, with no page number and everything in the footer at 8 point size. Looks good on the screen, but on the printer, the Date field is raised.

It would be useful if you'd print it out and see how it looks. It might be something in my system.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not on my system. Windows 7 , Word 2007 prined on a HP LazerJet 2100

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='798292' date='15-Oct-2009 22:08']Here's a different document, with no page number and everything in the footer at 8 point size. Looks good on the screen, but on the printer, the Date field is raised.

It would be useful if you'd print it out and see how it looks. It might be something in my system.[/quote]
    Hi again,

Just viewed this second document onscreen, and printed it as well. Date field is not raised either when viewed onscreen or when printed here (Windows XP, Office XP, Dell AIO Printer A940. To confirm this, I used the drawing tools to draw a horizontal line that runs along the top of the footer, just above the filename and date fields, then printed it out. No discernible difference in alignment - this would be another good test for you to try. If you're still getting that misalignment, I'm starting to think there might be an issue with the print driver - although it's not specifically anything I've ever seen.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just tried this here - Word 2003, Windows XP, HP Laser Jet 2420. When I printed the page it looked liked the date at the right was slightly raised, but it turned out to be an optical illusion. When I folded the page in half vertically, the doc title and date lined up perfectly.

Anne

Thanks
    Hmmm. Looks like I might have a problem with my printer or printer driver.

Also, when I use the drawing tools to put a horizontal line just above the footer, the text lines up with it perfectly. BUT when I measure, the line AND the text are tilted upward to the right. A quick experiment shows that this does NOT happen with a different printer.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If the problem was with the printer only, I'd suspect the paper transport, but if it happens with pdf995 too that can't be the cause.

Thanks
    I just installed the newest printer driver, and set the margins and footer positions far from the top and bottom of the page, just in case I was somehow trying to print outside the specs for the printer.

The problem continues.

When I print to the PDF file, the PDF prints fine on another printer, but has the problem on my original one!

It's such a minor thing that I want to just forget about it, but I can't. Sigh.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='798342' date='16-Oct-2009 13:22']When I print to the PDF file, the PDF prints fine on another printer, but has the problem on my original one![/quote]
    Could it be a mechanical problem? If the paper has only a fraction of an inch too much leeway, it might not be correctly aligned. That would cause the horizontal line to appear slanted.

Thanks
    Tracking it down...

I created a new document using Word's drawing tools. It consists of four lines, each about .5 inches from the edge of the paper, making a big rectangle. When I print it from either tray on the HP1300 printer, it is skewed. In other words, none of the printed lines are parallel to the edge of the paper.

The same thing happens when I make a big rectangle using borders in Excel.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That does sound like a mechanical problem - I suspect that the "guides" that lead the paper through the printer have to be adjusted. I don't know whether you can do this yourself or whether it should be left to a qualified technician.

Thanks
    I just posted the problem on an HP printer forum. The printer is pretty old, so I'm not expecting a lot of responses.

It's interesting that I originally thought the problem was with a footer. I spent a LOT of time fooling around with it before I saw the larger problem, which seems to be that the paper isn't feeding straight.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast