Thread: Find the Path

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the easiest way to find the path, or get the computer to return the path to a specific file or folder?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can right-click a file or folder and select Properties from the popup menu. The full path will be listed.

Other options:

In Windows XP:
    - Open Windows Explorer.
    - Make sure that the Address Bar is visible (View | Toolbars | Address Bar).
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the View tab.
    - Make sure that the check box "Display the full path in the address bar" is ticked.
    - Click OK.

When you navigate to a folder, you'll see its full path in the address bar. You can select it and copy it to the clipboard (press Ctrl+C), ready to be pasted elsewhere.

There's also a check box to display the full path in the title bar.
    This check box is available in Vista too but it only works if you use classic folder view.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks-That's the info I needed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='798359' date='16-Oct-2009 07:52']This check box is available in Vista too but it only works if you use classic folder view.[/quote]
    In Vista you don't need that option in "View". Simply clicking in the Address bar changes the information to the full path.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='798468' date='16-Oct-2009 23:02']In Vista you don't need that option in "View". Simply clicking in the Address bar changes the information to the full path. [/quote]
    Thanks for the clarification (I don't have Vista myself)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='798468' date='16-Oct-2009 22:02']In Vista you don't need that option in "View". Simply clicking in the Address bar changes the information to the full path. [/quote]

I had never noticed that, how useful. Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Another useful tip, for those not familiar with it, is hold down the "Shift" key > right-click on any folder or file > click on "Save as path". I find this useful for saving that information or sending it to someone who is wanting to know the address of a system file or any other folder or file.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Another useful tip, for those not familiar with it, is hold down the "Shift" key > right-click on any folder or file > click on "Save as path". I find this useful for saving that information or sending it to someone who is wanting to know the address of a system file or any other folder or file.
    That is sweet! I can use that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stans View Post
    What's the easiest way to find the path, or get the computer to return the path to a specific file or folder?
    If you have just saved a file and it's not obvious which folder was saved to; you can go to Start, Recent Documents, right click on the file shortcut there, select Properties and then click on the 'Find Target' button. This will open and Explorer window on the folder it's in, with the file itself highlighted.

It's a way of getting to files opened from email attachments, I find that these are often opened inside hidden application folders.

Works for XP too.

My helpful tip for the day.