New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am feeling absolutely brain dead right now. I'm trying to do something that seems so simple, yet I keep spinning my wheels. I've got a large-ish spreadsheet that I need to print out to include in a presentation. The row heights vary a good deal, based on the content. Some of the content ranges from a couple of sentences (approx 1") to several paragraphs (some are 4 or 5 inches).

The issue I am having is trying to get the printed output to paginate so that I don't have some pages with a single skinny row. The problem is that when I use the Page Break Preview view to display the existing page breaks and then drag the breaks to where I want them, the scaling shifts for the entire sheet. That's not the look I want. I've got my column and page margins and text size set up to read just the way I want them. (There are multiple sheets and I want them all to look the same), so when Excel tweaks the scaling down to 58%, it messes up what I'm looking for.

So my question is, how do I change the placement of the page break, without changing the Scaling setting on the Page Setup dialog box.

XP SP2 and Excel 2002, and thanks a ton in advance as I'm (of course) on a deadline.

J. Paul Kent
    Technical Writer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Dragging page breaks in page break view doesn't change the print scaling when I try it. Have you specified that the printout should be scaled to fit m x n pages in File | Page Setup?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried checking both boxes:
    Adjust to 100% normal size keeps getting changed.
    I'll try Fit to 1 by nn tall (where nn is the number of total pages I want) next.

Thanks
    If you are at 100% and put LESS lines on the page, it will remain 100%.

If you try to add MORE lines to the page, XL believes that you are unconcerned about keeping it 100% and will automatically scale it to fit what you told it you want to put on the page.

It may be easier to keep the view normal, go to page setup and set to 100% and then exit the page setup. The page break lines will be displayed. If the break is in the wrong spot, go the number of lines desired upward in rows and insert page break and they will be adjusted. Keep doing it this way, going to the other pages always decreasing what is on the page, never increasing and it should be fine...

Steve