Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Activation

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Activation

It seems to me that the antagonism generated by the Activation idea is a simple PR failure in Microsoft's behalf.

<UL><LI>It's free, easy and painless and can be done on-line.
    <LI>it's anonymous (so the process informs me).
    <LI>it is not closely connected to Registration. You may choose the former, and yet not register the package.
    <LI>as far as I can see there is nothing at all to worry about (unless it be that Win 2kP could well be discontinued.)[/list]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Activation

It isn't free. Someone had to code it, Microsoft had to pay them to do it, that cost is included in the price. It also is not free in that it takes time every time you boot and you have to wait longer to use your computer. If you install a product that uses this monstrosity, you will pay that cost every time you start the product. You will also pay a hugh cost when the code decides that it is not running on the same machine and denies you access to your computer or data. It is not "anonymous, the code can be used to identify your computer by comparing it to a newly calculated code. How can you say there is nothing to worry about? Do you think that Microsoft writes bug free code? Do you think that this code is compatible with all future new hardware?

Anyone who installs a product that includes this monstrosity deserves what they get.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>it takes time every time you boot and you have to wait longer to use your computer<hr>
    not true - booting with xp is much faster to begin with, but even so, the checks that are used take a split second. any number of apps loading at start can slow booting more than activation.

the code can't be reverse engineered and can't be used to identify the hardware in your system.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If it is not true, then please explain how the code runs. The last time I checked, code took time to run, and since this happens at startup, it delays when you can use your system or program. XP may boot faster, but it must be slower that it would be without this monstrosity. Waiting for an explaination on how this code can run in zero time.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it takes a split second for the hardware hash to be compared with the current hardware - with the current state of processing power, it's nothing.

if you hate winxp and activation so much, why not avoid this forum? you don't appear to have an interest in learning about it, only knocking it down with false information.

others come here to learn - you come to spread lies.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

And exactly how many seconds is that split second times the number of times XP is booted each day? And how did you come by that "split second"? Is that any more accurate than if I pulled 30 seconds out of the air? Don't forget that this code has to interrogate the adapter cards in the bus, and that is not normally something that is done in a "split second".
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

before you start throwing around your theories, i think you need to run xp for a few weeks - and run some benchmarks.

1) i rarely need to reboot xp - and on those rare occassions that i need to reboot weekly, it's because of things i'm testing, not xp. rebooting multiple times a day is not needed - this is not the unstable win9x you are used to. Even so, it wouldn't add up to more than a second or two total if you rebooted every few hours, especially at the higher clock speeds of newer processors. (I'm using relatively old and slow PIII500- PIII800's)

2) split second is a heck of a lot more accurate than 30 seconds - it doesn't even take 30 seconds to boot my machine to xp pro - with most of the delay attribuated to POST (which happens no matter the os)

you really need to use the program before you start complaining about it - as it is, you have no clue as to what you're talking about and are only spreading fear and falsehoods. If you'd do some benchmarks like many of us have and you'll see you are wrong.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>If you'd do some benchmarks like many of us have and you'll see you are wrong.
    <hr>
    I agree, if you have NOT run it, you have NO knowledge of how it runs. What you read in a lot of the anti-MS news is NOT what is happening.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My RC1 boots faster (than W98 and W2k), all apps load faster, and there have been no errors of any sort. I definitely will buy the commercial release when the beta expires.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi LC
    Somewhat raw nerves exposed here, I feel.
    I am a little disappointed in your disingenuous interpretation of my use of 'free'.
    I think you know very well what I meant : it's free in the sense that once you've bought the product, you are not then made to pay a further fee to use it. The fact that it has been budgeted for in the development program is neither here nor there.
    I used to argue (and just as vehemently) against activation, XP and the licensing thing, having read 'all' about it in the computer press. I would put most of what I read down to MS bashing. Why the change of heart LC? I'll tell you : I got hold of an RC1 test copy (runs for 362 days or something) and installed it. My opinion now is, no matter what crass marketing ploys MS have instigated, this OS is the best yet. It actually looks like a professional product, feels good and is stable and smooth in operation. My big beef is that new application versions are going to be needed, and I've just upped to the Win 2kP platform. There ain't that many cheap upgrades!
    I really can't see any mileage in arguing about a few milliseconds on boot times - that, I would say, just isn't the point. You might want to complain about needing to activate every time you change hardware - except that this isn't true either. It's only major changes for which it is necessary, and then it's a few minutes of one's time (less for cable modem systems).

XP is not perfect (I have a couple of problems, though this could be down to me, rather than the program) but I reckon it's what Windows should have been several years ago.

The problem with antipathy such as that to which you are (rightly) entitled is going to arise when MS discontinues support for all other OSs. (At least for the home user - I can't see a wholesale corporate relinquishing of NT or 2000 in either professional or server flavours). My fervent hope is that ME will die the death it deserves : I get more queries about the way this snarls up things than any other three OSs. (And no, I already triple boot, so another one I don't want).
    As for deserving what I get, I think I can live with that. What you are saying is equivalent to asserting that someone who, for instance, has a Rembrandt on his wall, deserves what he gets : true, but the point not quite thrusting in the direction you meant it to.
    I can only surmise you're heavily into Linux - or you soon will be.

Rgds

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't have to run anything to know that code does not run in zero time. You may think it is small, but it is a cost and multiplied my the number of times XP will be booted, it is a large cost.

How many times do you start an Office app?
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the interpretation that once you have paid for something it is free certainly is a unique interpretation.

No change of heart here (and actually no MS bashing). I have had this opinion of "copy protected" software since it was first tried by Lotus and Ashton Tate. Having lived through that debacle, I really don't want it again. Also, being a fan of Microsoft software, I really don't want to see them suffer the same fate at the companies that tried this the first time.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The author of ANY software, be it MSFT or anybody else, has every right to include any protection mechanism it sees fit. If you don't like that, then do not buy the product.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't believe I said in any post that I thought that Microsoft or any other vendor did not have the right to put protection code in their software. I definitely do not think that the government should be telling them what they can and can't put in their software. I think that putting that code in their products is incredibly dumb and will allow other companies to clean thier clock just like they were able to clean Lotus and Ashton Tate's clock when they had protection and MS didn't.

I have not and will never buy any software that inclues copy protection. I don't have and will not have any of the current XP products that include this code. If MS insists on continuing down this road, and my current Win 2000 and Office 2000 no longer meet my needs, then I will probably move to Linux and some office product that works on it.
    Legare Coleman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>I have not and will never buy any software that inclues copy protection. I don't have and will not have any of the current XP products that include this code. If MS insists on continuing down this road, and my current Win 2000 and Office 2000 no longer meet my needs, then I will probably move to Linux and some office product that works on it.<hr>
    Why do you keep ragging on this, if you are NOT going to use it?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast