Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been sent 3 seperate cds containing jpg photos. the problem is the photos are individual files in individual folders i.e. a cd contains 20 folders and each folder contains just 1 picture. (see attatchment) Is there a quick way of copying all of the pictures into a new folder? At the moment I only know to open each folder and copy paste each picture into a seperate new folder?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='798740' date='19-Oct-2009 06:36']... Is there a quick way of copying all of the pictures into a new folder? ...[/quote]
    I've never done this from a CD. In order to do it, you'll probably have to open a separate instance of Windows explorer and a window for the CD contents. It's worth a try.

Since you can't copy TO the CD, create the folder you want on the hard drive. Using the search function on the CD, search for all files with a .JPG extension and when you get that list, you might be able to highlight them all and copy to the folder on the hard drive.

Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='798740' date='19-Oct-2009 11:36']I have been sent 3 separate cds containing jpg photos. the problem is the photos are individual files in individual folders i.e. a cd contains 20 folders and each folder contains just 1 picture. (see attatchment) Is there a quick way of copying all of the pictures into a new folder? At the moment I only know to open each folder and copy paste each picture into a separate new folder?[/quote]
    Utterly trivial via the Command Prompt window! (Or a BATch file...)

First create your target directory - I'm calling it C:\Target Directory - using whatever you like, maybe even MD "C:\Target Directory" in a Command Prompt window

Now, in the Command Prompt window, assuming your DVD drive is D:, do
    XCOPY D:\*.* "C:\Target Directory" /S
    If there is other Stuff on the CD, you can change the D:\*.* to D:\*.JPEG or whatever, to restrict what gets copied (I couldn't see what the file extension was)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='798748' date='19-Oct-2009 12:27']Utterly trivial via the Command Prompt window! (Or a BATch file...)[/quote]
    I may be misunderstanding something, but doesn't that batch command copy files and folders? I understood the requirement was to compile a single folder containing just the contents of the multiple source folders.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you can't copy TO the CD, create the folder you want on the hard drive. Using the search function on the CD, search for all files with a .JPG extension and when you get that list, you might be able to highlight them all and copy to the folder on the hard drive.
    [/quote]

Nice idea. just tried it but even selecting the actual pics from the search when i copy to new folder they end up in individual folders again

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='798748' date='19-Oct-2009 12:27']Utterly trivial via the Command Prompt window! (Or a BATch file...)

First create your target directory - I'm calling it C:\Target Directory - using whatever you like, maybe even MD "C:\Target Directory" in a Command Prompt window

Now, in the Command Prompt window, assuming your DVD drive is D:, do
    XCOPY D:\*.* "C:\Target Directory" /S
    If there is other Stuff on the CD, you can change the D:\*.* to D:\*.JPEG or whatever, to restrict what gets copied (I couldn't see what the file extension was)...[/quote]

Nope. got all the folders again instead of the individual pictures

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='798745' date='19-Oct-2009 12:17']I've never done this from a CD. In order to do it, you'll probably have to open a separate instance of Windows explorer and a window for the CD contents. It's worth a try.

Since you can't copy TO the CD, create the folder you want on the hard drive. Using the search function on the CD, search for all files with a .JPG extension and when you get that list, you might be able to highlight them all and copy to the folder on the hard drive.[/quote]

One way Ive tried is to open 2 windows with the cd contents and the "new" open folder side by side and selected each pic and dragged it into the new folder. It works of course but this was supposed to be my day off! leaving it for now and try again when I'm less angry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='798764' date='19-Oct-2009 08:55']Nice idea. just tried it but even selecting the actual pics from the search when i copy to new folder they end up in individual folders again[/quote]
    Hmmm... I don't remember how I did it but I have a couple of Windows Explorer context menu entries (see attachment) that DO work without copying the folder structure. My memory tells me that some utility I ran did the creation for me, but if you're up to a bit of registry modification, I just found this:
    I'll keep looking through my software respository to see if I can remember which utility did the work for me.

[attachment=86075:2009_10_19_090910.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='798771' date='19-Oct-2009 09:17']One way Ive tried is to open 2 windows with the cd contents and the "new" open folder side by side and selected each pic and dragged it into the new folder. It works of course but this was supposed to be my day off! leaving it for now and try again when I'm less angry [/quote]
    Sorry for your frustration! I found what I used to add those two context menu entries and it was a couple of years ago, so I can't remember where I got this.

The attached ZIP file has two registry mods that will add the two menus I wrote about. I did just now try my example using the search and the "copy to folder" and it works from multiple folders to one without copying folder structure.

Good luck.

[attachment=86077:copyto_moveto.zip]
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='798774' date='19-Oct-2009 14:36']Sorry for your frustration! I found what I used to add those two context menu entries and it was a couple of years ago, so I can't remember where I got this.

The attached ZIP file has two registry mods that will add the two menus I wrote about. I did just now try my example using the search and the "copy to folder" and it works from multiple folders to one without copying folder structure.

Good luck.

[attachment=86077:copyto_moveto.zip][/quote]

Whoa! Whoa! I know you'll be interested in this Bigal.......Paint Shop Pro.....just had a flash of memory and of course PSP (or any other image editor I presume) will do a Batch Process. Just had a quick look and it looks like I can open and select any number of files and do a batch process of "copy" to specified place (folder in trhis case). I will try this later and then (am I hoping for too much?) I might be able to resize a bunch of them all at once in the same way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Several graphics tools can do this, for example FastStone Photo Resizer (free). You can move pictures from a whole set of folders to a single folder (make sure to clear the option "Preserve folder structure of input list") and resize them at the same time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A warning about CopyTo MoveTo

After installing this I had some strange problems with Right Click menus, especially if I had multiple things selected. Sometimes the wrong right click action seems to take place.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='798775' date='19-Oct-2009 09:43']Whoa! Whoa! I know you'll be interested in this Bigal.......Paint Shop Pro.....just had a flash of memory and of course PSP (or any other image editor I presume) will do a Batch Process. Just had a quick look and it looks like I can open and select any number of files and do a batch process of "copy" to specified place (folder in trhis case). I will try this later and then (am I hoping for too much?) I might be able to resize a bunch of them all at once in the same way.[/quote]
    Hmmm again. I've never tried that in PSP where the files are in different folders. Let us know how you do.

But, just for the future, you might want to add those two context entries. I think it'll be even easier than using PSP. My test took less than two minutes.

I still don't remember where I got the zip file, but here's what I think are two confirming places where such is found. The first link seems to indicate Vista and Windows 7 but may be where I got it: Add Copy To / Move To on Windows 7 or Vista Right-Click Menu.

And here's a second source from Kelly's Korner, a site MANY of us use for XP tweaking. See line #45 on the left side: Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP.

Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='798754' date='19-Oct-2009 13:02']I may be misunderstanding something, but doesn't that batch command copy files and folders? I understood the requirement was to compile a single folder containing just the contents of the multiple source folders.[/quote]
    Yes, you're right - I tested it using
    XCOPY C:\*.TXT D:\Test /S

You would have to specify a file extension for it to do what was requested... Sorry!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='798781' date='19-Oct-2009 16:03']A warning about CopyTo MoveTo

After installing this I had some strange problems with Right Click menus, especially if I had multiple things selected. Sometimes the wrong right click action seems to take place.[/quote]
    Stuart,
    I remember adding those menu entries a long time ago (these features were present in Windows 95 Powertoy, Send to X, a long with other entries, I think, so many people went looking for something similar in XP and then some different reg edits were mentioned).

But somehow my test (perhaps a manual reg edit) back then backfired also, if I remember correct, so I removed them. I can't remember how and why, and I've not tested the reg edit this time around. But perhaps if one compares selecting one file with selecting several, as you said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast