Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could someone explain in simple steps how one would start in the Vista to Windows 7 conversion ??

I have a HP Compaq computer with 250 gig hard disk and 1 gig memory running under Vista Home.

Thanks for any help.

Theodore

PS : I am contemplating this migration, but am still in the dark as to any real Windows 7 benefits.

Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='798756' date='19-Oct-2009 13:12']Could someone explain in simple steps how one would start in the Vista to Windows 7 conversion ??

I have a HP Compaq computer with 250 gig hard disk and 1 gig memory running under Vista Home.

Thanks for any help.

Theodore

PS : I am contemplating this migration, but am still in the dark as to any real Windows 7 benefits.[/quote]
    Have a look at Paul Thurrott's Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - you may well want to run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor which should report on things like your printers, not just the PC hardware.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Theodore' post='798756' date='19-Oct-2009 07:12']Could someone explain in simple steps how one would start in the Vista to Windows 7 conversion ??

Thanks for any help.

Theodore

PS : I am contemplating this migration, but am still in the dark as to any real Windows 7 benefits.[/quote]

I recommend that you install another 1 GB of RAM. It will make you system much more responsive. That recommendation is regardless of whether you upgrade or not. If you have a desktop machine that is usually fairly easy and most of the time you just add RAM. More expensive sometimes with a notebook as often with notebooks you need to completely replace RAM and not just add more.

See the following for several opinions about the good stuff in Windows 7:

InformIT: Seven Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 7 > Seven Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 7
    Windows 7: Four Reasons to Upgrade, Four Reasons to Stay Away - PC World
    Ten Reasons Why People Will Upgrade To Windows 7 (MSFT)#comments#comments#comments
    Top 10 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 7
    Windows 7 @ Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows - a series of articles.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lief and Joeperez for your fine Windows 7 research articles !!

Theodore