2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When using a high resolution display of 1024 X whatever to see more of certain websites, I lose about half the height of the System Tray with my Windows 2000 system. It's actually kind of slanted, down in the direction of the Start button.

I can drag it up to two full lines (or more) but that's too much territory. Is there a way to "nudge" the System Tray by just a few pixels or fractions of an inch?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Betsy Frick' post='798792' date='19-Oct-2009 17:03']It's actually kind of slanted, down in the direction of the Start button.[/quote]
    I think that's an artefact of your video/monitor settings; as far as I know the taskbar always has a uniform height. See if you can correct it using the controls on your monitor.

(Oh, and you can only set the height of the taskbar to a whole number of icon rows)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Betsy Frick' post='798792' date='19-Oct-2009 17:03']When using a high resolution display of 1024 X whatever to see more of certain websites, I lose about half the height of the System Tray with my Windows 2000 system. [snip][/quote]
    Given your description this sounds more like a hardware question, in this case the monitor. Most monitors have some preset resolutions to select, but sometimes one has to adjust the vertical or the horizontal width, as well as adjusting rotation, pin-balance etc.

Have you checked the settings on the monitor?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Monitor settings? What monitor settings? Oh, you mean the four little buttons on the front of my monitor that I've never touched? Ah Ha! Exactly what I needed. Problem fixed.

BTW -- What does "degaus" mean? It's one of the items listed under the monitor settings.

You-all are the best! Thanks very much.

Betsy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ... to remove or neutralize the magnetic field of ...

I guess it's a bit like wiping grease off parts of my car engine. . . .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Al, for the explanation of degaussing! So I guess that clicking on the degaus option from time to time is OK. Anyhow, I did, and the display went, umm, kind of wavy and I thought I'd killed it, then it came right back and seems normal.

What would I do without you WOPRs?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Some types of monitor can build up a magnetic charge, this can cause problems with the display. The degauss button applies a rapidly changing magnetic field which effectively demagnetizes the screen and restores the display quality.

See this wikipedia article for more information.