Thanks
    Some railway enthusiast friends have recently returned from a trip from Buckinghamshire to Malta by train and spoke highly of The Man in Seat Sixty-One website in helping to plan their journey. As someone who intensely dislikes flying, I'm very attracted by the idea of crossing Europe by train.

I haven't had a chance to dig too deeply into the site and so can't be sure how useful it might be for those outside Europe (or the UK), but if you are planning a trip to Europe and want to travel and see the countryside, it may be worth a look.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='798797' date='19-Oct-2009 11:27']Some railway enthusiast friends have recently returned from a trip from Buckinghamshire to Malta by train and spoke highly of The Man in Seat Sixty-One website in helping to plan their journey. As someone who intensely dislikes flying, I'm very attracted by the idea of crossing Europe by train.

I haven't had a chance to dig too deeply into the site and so can't be sure how useful it might be for those outside Europe (or the UK), but if you are planning a trip to Europe and want to travel and see the countryside, it may be worth a look.[/quote]

Thanks Lief,

I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to travel in Europe in the foreseeable future but I plan to keep this website in mind. I would love to travel around England and the rest of Europe by train. I am one of those throw-backs here in the states that mourns the loss of our rail system. I managed only one big train ride when I was much younger, I traveled the northwest (or northen tier as they sometimes refer to it) by train and I still dream of doing that again. That was a blast!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    Hmmmm.
    Would you trust a man who named their youngest child Katelijn?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A useful website for planning a journey!

Another one is the German Railways journey planner (Deutsche Bahn - German Rail Homepage); one can order many transnational train tickets from them; they'll be delivered to your home free of charge.

But if you're planning on traveling by high-speed train (EuroStar, TGV, Thalys, ICE, ...) it can be a good idea to let a travel agent search for the best deal. High-speed trains offer a bewildering range of fares, much like airplane companies, and it's not easy to find the best combination. Sometimes first class is cheaper than second class, because the cheapest second class tickets sell out rapidly. Travel agents have access to specialized websites not open to the public that can compare fares much faster.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='798805' date='19-Oct-2009 17:54']Would you trust a man who named their youngest child Katelijn?[/quote]
    Katelijn is a perfectly normal Dutch name - I suspect his wife is Dutch or Flemish...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='798808' date='19-Oct-2009 12:00']Katelijn is a perfectly normal Dutch name - I suspect his wife is Dutch or Flemish...[/quote]
    And, if I'm not mistaken, the American-ized version simply leaves out the "J"...

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='798808' date='19-Oct-2009 17:00']Katelijn is a perfectly normal Dutch name - I suspect his wife is Dutch or Flemish...[/quote]
    Ah....!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='798798' date='19-Oct-2009 10:37']Thanks Lief,

I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to travel in Europe in the foreseeable future but I plan to keep this website in mind. I would love to travel around England and the rest of Europe by train. I am one of those throw-backs here in the states that mourns the loss of our rail system. I managed only one big train ride when I was much younger, I traveled the northwest (or northen tier as they sometimes refer to it) by train and I still dream of doing that again. That was a blast![/quote]

Thanks! I'm trying to come up with a cheaper way for Garbette to come home on the holidays (because, as you know, ultimately mom pays for everything) and maybe the train is the ticket.

Got me all dreaming about taking a liner across the Atlantic to Europe, too. Better than being crammed into a plane, having all the toilets break down and then the stupid flight attendants break out the free beer
    Carpy Diem, it&#39;s .

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='798797' date='19-Oct-2009 11:27']Some railway enthusiast friends ...[/quote]
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2009...el-myth-reality
    "The age of the train: myth or reality?"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='799311' date='22-Oct-2009 07:25']http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2009...el-myth-reality
    "The age of the train: myth or reality?"[/quote]I'd say that, for any train journey longer than 3 hours, mostly myth. I can be in the centre of London before 0930 in the morning, have a full day of business and be home before 8PM. This would involve driving to the airport, flight to London City airport, DLR to Bank and the Central line to Holborn - returning the same way.

By train this would be a drive to the next town. Train to Geneva Central Station, TGV to Gare de Lyon, RER to Gare de Nord, Eurostar to London Pancreas and then the Underground to Holborn. Elapsed time over 8 hours - I'd need two days to travel, plus one day for business. The price would be considerably more as well.

Geneva - Paris, the TGV makes sense, but anything longer than that ...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    The ManinSeat61 website is an excellent resource for those who wish to travel by train through Europe and there is information on train travel through most of the world on his website as well. This includes the good and the bad.
    Train travel as a convenient alternative to air travel is just not there yet.
    If you are a business traveller travelling say from London to anywhere in Europe by train, you have to figure in the time it would take to get to Paris first, as there is no other way to get to Europe from Britain by train.
    If, however, you wish to take a vacation and can book early enough, and research your travel via this website, depending on where you go, train travel can be enjoyable.
    A group of friends and myself travelled to Florence and Venice from London, stopping first in Paris then taking an overnight train from Paris to Florence. After a few days, we booked a one way ticket to Venice, then got home from Venice to Paris(the same route through the Swiss alps as the Orient Express) arriving in Paris in the morning, then were home in London that evening.
    I did most of the research for that trip on this website. I did try to book via the Rail Europe website, but eventually had to go up to their office on Regent Street as the website was giving me problems as the man in seat 61 warned me it might.
    The overnight train was noisy, and did stop frequently (once to change engines before going through the Simplon Tunnel in the middle of the night) and we sure didn't get a lot of sleep but I'm not sure if that was due to the noise or the fact that I kept wanting to peep out the windows so as not to miss anything.

The sight of the full moon over the small, brightly lit Alpine villages in Switzerland is something I won't forget.

I guess train travel is to air travel what camping is to hotel stays. You might have to rough it a bit, but if you book early and do your research, it could be worth it.