Thanks
    This may seem pointless, but I'm trying to find out what controls the sound made when you d-click a registry entry and merge it.

That doesn't show up anywhere in the "Sounds" panel.

The reason I'm trying to find this is that something I install or use or change settings for turns it off -- no sound on the question or confirmation.

Although by itself it's not the end of the world, it could also be causing other issues that go "unseen."

How can I track down what registry entry causes that particular sound?

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='798828' date='19-Oct-2009 18:00']How can I track down what registry entry causes that particular sound?[/quote]
    Run SysInternals' Process Monitor, and wade through the output...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='798828' date='19-Oct-2009 18:00']This may seem pointless, but I'm trying to find out what controls the sound made when you d-click a registry entry and merge it.

That doesn't show up anywhere in the "Sounds" panel.

The reason I'm trying to find this is that something I install or use or change settings for turns it off -- no sound on the question or confirmation.

Although by itself it's not the end of the world, it could also be causing other issues that go "unseen."

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]
    Any clue as to what the sound sounds like? Fanfare? Drum-roll? Exclamation?

I'd hazard a guess that it's one of the 'navigation' sounds which appear to materialise with the most unlikely actions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow' post='798828 View Post
    I don't know, but I think it would be difficult since those are standard events, although the different dialogue boxes may look different, it's all about Information (or SystemExclamation), Warning, Confirmation etc. that invokes certain sounds. That is, it could be, let's say, a confirmation dialogue box and it is just the wording that makes it a "merge confirmation dialogue box", underneath it's a normal confirmation dialogue and it's tied to a certain sound by default.

Your best possible alternative, I think, would be to check the software and drivers that you have added since OS installation.

Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='798862' date='19-Oct-2009 11:59']Any clue as to what the sound sounds like? Fanfare? Drum-roll? Exclamation?

I'd hazard a guess that it's one of the 'navigation' sounds which appear to materialise with the most unlikely actions.[/quote]

Leif

The one the system uses is the "Windows Exclamation" (Windows 7 b7100). But there's nothing "linked" to it that I can replicate -- when it "shuts off" nothing else (locatable) seems to do so.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='798880' date='19-Oct-2009 12:47']No, [topic="763321"]as we concluded last time, there are no *specific sounds*[/topic] for registry merging. I think you have all the events in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried other software (Notepad, whatever) to invoke such dialogue boxes, and thus the sound (for example closing with out saving etc. etc.), just to compare?

I don't know, but I think it would be difficult since those are standard events, although the different dialogue boxes may look different, it's all about Information (or SystemExclamation), Warning, Confirmation etc. that invokes certain sounds. That is, it could be, let's say, a confirmation dialogue box and it is just the wording that makes it a "merge confirmation dialogue box", underneath it's a normal confirmation dialogue and it's tied to a certain sound by default.

Your best possible alternative, I think, would be to check the software and drivers that you have added since OS installation.[/quote]

Argus, as it's a "standard" sound (Exclamation), it's all over the place.

If I could just find the part of the registry that controls its own merges, that's where it would have to be. Once its not working, recalling a registry backup restores it. So it has to be some type of entry that's being overwritten or deleted.

Especially since it seems to be so hidden, it really makes me wonder if something else wouldn't be getting screwed up at the same time.

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='798880' date='19-Oct-2009 12:47']No, [topic="763321"]as we concluded last time, there are no *specific sounds*[/topic] for registry merging. I think you have all the events in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried other software (Notepad, whatever) to invoke such dialogue boxes, and thus the sound (for example closing with out saving etc. etc.), just to compare?

Your best possible alternative, I think, would be to check the software and drivers that you have added since OS installation.[/quote]

Argus:

Is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes where "all" the sounds for the current user (that be me since I'm the only user) are stored?

If so, could I just export that part of the registry and import it when needed? Or would sounds also be other places?

Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='798888' date='19-Oct-2009 22:04']Is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes where "all" the sounds for the current user (that be me since I'm the only user) are stored?[/quote]
    Good question. I think so. That is, the user that is currently logged on. That also means that you will find references for that user under HKEY_USERS. But your ntuser.dat file is loaded as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive when you log on.

Also the sound scheme in use is shown in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes (the parent to the abovementioned; for example mine says ".None").

But apart from that; for each different event you have the keys ".Current" and ".Default" which shows the current setting and the default which you probably have found. Obviously one can compare these with other users or the default user.

I don't know about this; if your sound is working but not when invoked by an event (do I understand you correct that you don't get any "dialog box sounds"?).

There is an old KB article about problems with no sound being played when they are triggered by an event (that is, sound is working otherwise, in Control Panel etc.).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;262256

However, I don't know if that one is valid for later versions. I have some entries in that root (I have not bothered to find the cause) and my sound is working (if I turn on a sound scheme).

I would be careful not deleting something, but I think you know how to back up keys etc.

But then again, if that or similar edits do work, what is the cause? A driver or something else? If sound linked to events is important, I guess one can only test it when installing something, along the way.