New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there,

Does anybody know how to get the good looking integral sign in MS Word? I use the Equation Editor for writing equations, but the default integral sign is too short and I occasionally see some other published papers include a better looking integral sign, which is more slim and much higher.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

The Symbol font contains characters that you can use to create tall integral symbols, for example the bottom two rows in the Symbol font:

[attachment=86087:x.png]

The Arial Unicode MS font also contains several integral symbols:

[attachment=86088:z.png]

Use Insert | Symbol to get these symbols.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='798956' date='20-Oct-2009 16:32']Welcome to the Lounge!

The Symbol font contains characters that you can use to create tall integral symbols, for example the bottom two rows in the Symbol font:

Use Insert | Symbol to get these symbols.[/quote]

Dear Hans,

Thanks for the prompt reply. What you mentioned seems to insert a symbol in the TEXT, but we can't insert a symbol in while using Equation Editor. Besides, I believe they may use another font type instead of the standard Symbol font, as I can't make the desired effect by insert the integral symbol.

Attached below please find two identical equations, the first one is by others, and the followed one is by me using Equation editor. It can be seen that the integral sign of the first question is much better in looking. I just wonder how to get it.

p.s. I can't upload the image to your site. I use http://imagevenue.com/upload.php, they only allow *.jpg, and you don't. You allow *.gif and they don't. So please advise how can I post an image to you for a better understanding?

Thak you very much.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Within the Equation Editor, you can customize styles:
    - Select Style | Define...
    - You'll see the font used for various elements of an equation:

[attachment=86090:x.png]

- By default, the Symbol font is used for symbols.
    - You can change this to for example Times New Roman or Arial; these fonts have a somewhat taller integral symbol.

You can also increase the size of symbols:
    - Select Size | Define...

[attachment=86091:y.png]

- By default, the size for symbols is 18 points.
    - You can increase this to for example 24 points.

You can attach a .jpg (or .gif or .png) image that has been saved to your hard disk:
    - Click the Browse... button below the edit area.
    - Locate and select the file, then click Open.
    - Click Upload.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Hans,

Here is the pictures of two equations, could you please have a check and let me know how can I type out the slim large integral sign. I have tried what you described in the previous reply. It just doesn't work for me.

[attachment=86094:Equations.jpg]

Thank you very much.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see a way to get that integral sign with the Equation Editor that comes with Word. Perhaps the publication you saw was created using MathType, the Equation Editor's big brother, or using TeX.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Hans,

Thanks a lot for your efforts. But I tried with MathTpe as well, but still couldn't work it out. May be I miss the font at that time, I try again later.

Thanks.
    Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Word 2007 Equation Editor is a big improvement from the earlier versions and you can change the size of the integral sign by right clicking and choosing 'Stretch N-ary Operator'. The attached graphic shows the stretched and unstretched variants in Word 2007
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohead View Post
    Dear Hans,

Here is the pictures of two equations, could you please have a check and let me know how can I type out the slim large integral sign. I have tried what you described in the previous reply. It just doesn't work for me.

[attachment=86094:Equations.jpg]

Thank you very much.

Regards
    All you need to do is hold down the Shift key as you click on the integral template from the palette. This will create an "expanding integral" in both Equation Editor and MathType. Note that this works only for the integral template (from the Integrals palette on the second row of Equation Editor buttons), and not for the integral symbol (which is in the Miscellaneous Symbols palette on the top row).
    Bob Mathews
    Design Science, Inc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mathews View Post
    All you need to do is hold down the Shift key as you click on the integral template from the palette.
    Hey, thanks! In all the years I've used Word, I never noticed that!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mathews View Post
    All you need to do is hold down the Shift key as you click on the integral template from the palette. This will create an "expanding integral" in both Equation Editor and MathType. Note that this works only for the integral template (from the Integrals palette on the second row of Equation Editor buttons), and not for the integral symbol (which is in the Miscellaneous Symbols palette on the top row).
    So it does! I wonder what other hidden features are in there that I didn't know. Do you know of anywhere that lists features like that?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    So it does! I wonder what other hidden features are in there that I didn't know. Do you know of anywhere that lists features like that?
    That particular feature is in Equation Editor Help:
    Contents
    Reference Information
    Inserting mathematical templates in an equation
    Inserting integrals in an equation
    In MathType Help, it's in the Glossary under "Expanding Integrals". There are more tips on the Design Science website, all of which will work for MathType and some will work for Equation Editor.

We're working on making our Help content more complete and user-friendly, so if you have any suggestions, we'd value the feedback!

Bob
    Bob Mathews
    Design Science, Inc.