Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing links

whigham

removing links

In Excel 2000, I'm trying to create a new budget from last year's, and somewhere in last year's file there are links between months, so that some cell in, say, December reads its data from the November screen. Is there a way to copy the December page from this file to make the new year's January screen without importing such internal links, so that the 2001 budget does not generate (upon opening) the update links, yes/no message? Put another way, how can I find and cut such links?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: removing links

Will copying the December worksheet and doing a Paste Special/Values (then maybe a Paste Special/Format) do what you want?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After you copy your December file and make it to January or whatever, Select Edit, Links. The Links dialog box should appear. Click on the link (in EXCEL97there is a liottle bar below which shows the name of the file or sheet linkage that you selected). Then Click the Change Source button and change the link to the active file or sheet that you now want to link to. If that does not work, then.Select Insert, Name, Define. Scroll down the list in the Define Name dialog box and examine the "Refers to" box. Delete names that refer to another workbook or that contain an erroneous reference (such as #REF!). This is the most common cause of "phantom
    links."

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

pcc

I found a small utilty, FindLink that you install which makes it easey to find most links.
    I have a copy of the zip file is someone would advise me where to send it so it is available to all.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a web site for this? It sounds good.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gwhitfield on 01/01/15 23:15.</FONT></P>*** I've added tags to the web reference- but it's put my sig in place of Gene's ***

The only item that I've seen while surfing Excel links that fits this description is the one from MacroSystems which is shareware. See: http://www.add-ins.com/linkfind.htm

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gene- looks good. But I don't know why it replaced your sig with mine- sorry.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen that happen a few times -- and even to HRH.

HELP, MUMMY! The signature switcher gremlin is alive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Gene-

Is it shareware? I've looked at the link and it looks as if you have to purchase a VB suite of programs to get it.

pcc

Hi Geoff,
    Sorry, the only information that I can find is that it is written by Bill Manville. I picked this utility up from a recommendation in a newsletter some time ago, but cannot recall which one. I have a number of users throughout the company using this utility, and they all love it.
    I still have the original zip file, so I can send this to you in an email if you give me your address, as it is only 10.8KB.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a delinker you can get from the Microsoft website. Just search for dellinks.xla.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

cpod,

Thanks for that. Here's the link

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

That's OK. I found it here

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff, it's part of a package of Excel utilities that are for sale. I also have the Bill Manville file which I'd forgotten about. The link you've already included in your post is accurate and should be sufficient. I double checked the download and it looks to be still valid.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello,

I different approach is to use the INDIRECT function - no more "internal links" !

Regards

--alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast