2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently acquired a WD hard drive, which came with offers of various bits of maintenance and management software. One such was Memeo Autosync. I did not want this software, so I removed it using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. However, Windows Installer now starts itself up every 10 minutes or so and tries to install the program, eventually failing with the comment that it could not find the source and asking me to browse for another.

I have scanned my system for any files and directories referencing Memeo Autosync and removed them. Then I scanned the registry with CCleaner and RegCure to try and remove any unlinked file references, but still the pesky thing keeps reappearing.

The folder that the Installer keeps looking in is {73DF8C24-FEEC-41AF-B020-3FABC7890954}. This contains two files; 0x0409.ini and 1033.MST. I am not sure what their function is, though the .ini file seems to hold only a set of error messages.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this before the men in white coats come to take me away.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run down the problem and hopefully got things under control. The culprit was not really Memeo, but Installshield. The installation program set up Installshield to remain resident and look for updates automatically. When I uninstalled Memeo, the removal process was faulty as it left the Installshield update program in place, with Memeo still on its list. It therefore tries to find updates for a non-existent program in an infinite loop. With the help of TUT (The Ultimate Troubleshooter from AnswersThatWork), I was able to identify the process and disable it. However, only time will tell whether the fix is permanent.
    Incidentally, TUT had some very trenchant remarks about automatic update programs in general, especially if, as might be the case with a popular one like Installshield, it looks after a number of software packages. Apparently, they can get themselves into a real tangle. I just use a reminder in Outlook to prompt me to go looking for updates under manual control.
    I hope this post was useful to somebody.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jim_from_oz' post='799125' date='20-Oct-2009 23:09']... I hope this post was useful to somebody...[/quote]
    Don't know that, Jim, but it's quite possible and we ALWAYS appreciate it when Loungers report the solution to a problem. Thanks!