Thread: make table

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am making a new table by copying fields from the old table as follows
    DoCmd.RunSQL " SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin,ProductsPanolin.GradeP anolin,ProductsPanolin.ltr INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"

But how could i use this sql making this new table, to add three new empty fields with currency format called rig ,rig 2 and grossprice?

Thanks
    [quote name='freelance' post='799206' date='21-Oct-2009 17:53']I am making a new table by copying fields from the old table as follows
    DoCmd.RunSQL " SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin,ProductsPanolin.GradeP anolin,ProductsPanolin.ltr INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"

But how could i use this sql making this new table, to add three new empty fields with currency format called rig ,rig 2 and grossprice?[/quote]

Not sure you could do it in 1 query

You could add Number fields just by modifying query

DoCmd.RunSQL " SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin,ProductsPanolin.GradeP anolin,ProductsPanolin.ltr,0 AS rig ,0 AS [rig 2], 0 AS grossprice INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"

But to make them into currency fields you would need to run more queries

DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ALTER COLUMN rig Currency "
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ALTER COLUMN [rig 2] Currency "
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ALTER COLUMN grossprice Currency "

I don't think it is possible to alter multiple columns but I could be wrong.
    Andrew

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew is correct, you can't do it all in one SQL statement.
    Alternatively, you could add the fields after creating the table:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin, ProductsPanolin.GradePanolin, ProductsPanolin.ltr INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN rig MONEY"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN [rig 2] MONEY"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN grossprice MONEY"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799218' date='21-Oct-2009 18:42']Andrew is correct, you can't do it all in one SQL statement.
    Alternatively, you could add the fields after creating the table:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin, ProductsPanolin.GradePanolin, ProductsPanolin.ltr INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN rig MONEY"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN [rig 2] MONEY"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN grossprice MONEY"[/quote]

Excellent ! creates everything i need! Thank you !!!

Thanks
    [quote name='freelance' post='799228' date='21-Oct-2009 20:20']Excellent ! creates everything i need! Thank you !!![/quote]

The Main difference between My Solution and Hans Solution is that
    Mine will set 0 to be the default value in existing data in the table.
    Hans Version will have values in New Fields as NULL unless you add default value to Column Definition.

Also you can do Hans version in 2 queries

DoCmd.RunSQL "ALTER TABLE TblPricesPanolin ADD COLUMN rig MONEY, [rig 2] MONEY, grossprice MONEY "
    Andrew

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew, you could leave the new fields blank in your version as follows:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin, ProductsPanolin.GradePanolin, ProductsPanolin.ltr, Null AS rig, Null AS [rig 2], Null AS grossprice INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799250' date='21-Oct-2009 21:24']Andrew, you could leave the new fields blank in your version as follows:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT ProductsPanolin.CodePanolin, ProductsPanolin.GradePanolin, ProductsPanolin.ltr, Null AS rig, Null AS [rig 2], Null AS grossprice INTO TblPricesPanolin FROM ProductsPanolin"[/quote]

Yes I know Hans, I wanted to set the initial values to the data transferred to the new table as Zero.
    That is really the only difference.
    Andrew